Thought she was broody but she laid an egg?

RoswellOrganic

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 1, 2014
GA Zone7b
I had 2 hens that would not leave the nest yesterday night. A blue ameraucana that has been broody before and a cream legbar that had not been broody before. They are both almost a year old. Both were puffing up and complaining that I removed them so I figured both must be broody.
I placed them both in a separate coop with a wire floor, roost, water and food. It rained really hard this afternoon and both got a bit wet, I dried them up and brought them to a more protected location. Just went out to check on them and one of the 2 laid an egg. It was broken on the floor and both hens were up in the roost.
Was I mistaken? Not broody? It should take a while for them to start laying again, right?

Thank you all, these are my first chickens, lots to learn!

They may well be broody. Hens become broody, i.e. its a process, not an "on and off affair". Its likely that they will return to the nest and stay there and possibly within a few days, they will remain in the nest overnight. If you wish to set eggs under them, then you may wish to wait until they have stayed on the nest overnight for 3-4 days or so.

CT

Back
Top Bottom