Thoughts and Ideas on how to help newly hatched chick

marlo1968

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Lorenzo, TX
I have a chick that hatched this morning (or during the night) and it is still pretty listless. When I found it at about 9 am it was barely moving and cold. All of the hens other eggs hatched last weekend and she has no interest in this new chick so it's inside. If I pick it up and lay it on its back it just lays there, doesn't try to right itself. I've gotten it to take just a touch of water, maybe 1-2 drops since then. It is under the heat lamp. The heat is holding at 100 degrees F. Is this too hot? On its belly the yolk sack connection (belly button) is on its side kind of by its thigh, not at the center of the belly. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that might help me to keep this little one from dying? Thanks for any guidance you might be able to give. :)

ok, so now I'm looking at it and its trying to stand, and its leg that I thought the egg sack was connected near, now looks like an injury. It isn't using that leg, the belly looks a bit bruised on that side. I'll get some pics and post, maybe that will help with ideas

Back
Top Bottom