thoughts on pulling the plug on day light, giving hens a break?

Quote: I don't worm my birds...never saw a reason to and if I did I would get a fecal test done before choosing a wormer.
Wazine only kills round worms...(and maybe tape worms?)

I don't treat for external parasites either, unless I see them.
Have had to treat for lice twice, I take them off roost at night to treat so no 'catching' involved, used a permethrin powder worked great.

I don't worm my birds...never saw a reason to and if I did I would get a fecal test done before choosing a wormer.
Wazine only kills round worms...(and maybe tape worms?)

I don't treat for external parasites either, unless I see them.
Have had to treat for lice twice, I take them off roost at night to treat so no 'catching' involved, used a permethrin powder worked great.
this year has been the first time worming has come up for me, never have done it or given it much thought, but I have had some hens get sick and die suddenly, and worming kept coming up as a suggestion or reason, then with them not looking all that healthy it came up again but i still have yet to do it. I was thinking the same thing about getting a fecal, might as well know if there is an issue before I go treating a problem that isn't there. :)

I have a few hens who definitely have the lice, i picked them up cause they looked so rough and upon checking them out there were lice running all over their vent/hind end....yuck! and i noticed some picking their own feathers out and kind of scratching and found lice, but I am with you I don't really want to treat unless its an issue or i see a problem, and really lice is more of a nuisance than a real issue, but now I am grossed out so i want to get rid of them haha.

this year has been the first time worming has come up for me, never have done it or given it much thought, but I have had some hens get sick and die suddenly, and worming kept coming up as a suggestion or reason, then with them not looking all that healthy it came up again but i still have yet to do it. I was thinking the same thing about getting a fecal, might as well know if there is an issue before I go treating a problem that isn't there. :)

I have a few hens who definitely have the lice, i picked them up cause they looked so rough and upon checking them out there were lice running all over their vent/hind end....yuck! and i noticed some picking their own feathers out and kind of scratching and found lice, but I am with you I don't really want to treat unless its an issue or i see a problem, and really lice is more of a nuisance than a real issue, but now I am grossed out so i want to get rid of them haha.
The dewormer should work to treat the lice too.

The dewormer should work to treat the lice too.
I know this to be true with ivermectin as far as biting or latched bugs (we use it to treat horses with LOTS of ticks) I would just be using Wyzine since that is what I have but haven't seen or heard that it could help with lice. In fact i re-read it today and says do not use on poultry who's eggs are intended to be eaten for human consumption, soooo now I am back to deciding if I should just do a fecal before I delve into the wormer ordeal.
hu.gif

How does ivermectin treat lice?

I was under the impression lice do not drink blood, so how would they get poisoned?

Just curious.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom