Thoughts on quail for personal meat production?

Wow!! Those look absolutely delicious. I didn't even think of doing them that style, will be looking forward to trying. Ive marinated and deep fried like the Vietnamese restaurants and they turn out pretty tasty.

Attachments

• 20200830_141504.jpg
    20200830_141504.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 8
This article is awesome, but I need a few more steps after the end explained. I still don’t understand the resting for fridge vs freezer.

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but so far I have always let the birds rest in the fridge for at least 24hrs before cooking or freezing. I'm not sure that it makes a difference but so far they have been good.

This article is awesome, but I need a few more steps after the end explained. I still don’t understand the resting for fridge vs freezer.
Resting is to allow rigor to pass. Quail go into rigor very quickly (within 10 minutes) and come out of it pretty quickly too. You can cook them same day, in fact, I often do.

Yup that answers my question. I am very much considering starting a mini meaties operation. I’m urban and while ‘butchering” is technically prohibited in city, I can’t imagine anyone objecting to what I take care of in my garage on small scale for personal use.

I was thinking starting with about dozen birds, then process 6 at a time, and breed remainder until I’m up to about generally housing 18 birds at a time, processing about 12 birds every couple of months. I will definitely eat excess eggs.

A few other questions

Is Cournix really the best starter breed?

How often would everyone recommend adding new genes into mix?

Do you need to vaccinate (Mareks)and watch out for same issues as Chicks, pasty butt ect?

Yup that answers my question. I am very much considering starting a mini meaties operation. I’m urban and while ‘butchering” is technically prohibited in city, I can’t imagine anyone objecting to what I take care of in my garage on small scale for personal use.

I was thinking starting with about dozen birds, then process 6 at a time, and breed remainder until I’m up to about generally housing 18 birds at a time, processing about 12 birds every couple of months. I will definitely eat excess eggs.

A few other questions

Is Cournix really the best starter breed?

How often would everyone recommend adding new genes into mix?

Do you need to vaccinate (Mareks)and watch out for same issues as Chicks, pasty butt ect?
Coturnix is definitely the best starter breed. They are domestic and don't need permits in most places to keep. They don't require permits in CA. You may want to check your local ordinances too. I'm urban in CA, and I'm only allowed to keep 20 birds (but if no one reports you, they're not likely to enforce it). It is allowed to dispose of small animals occasionally in your garbage (in my town), so the offal from 6 birds is probably legal. If you compost, you can compost it too.

Back
Top Bottom