Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
Add hens to that - my ladies are extremely noisy! My poor Roo just stay clear of the drama - sometimes I think he wants to hide in the office with me 😆
Hens certainly are noisy! Some of my hens make a screeching-yelling sound when they fly out of the coop after laying an egg, as if a predator was going to attack them. It scares my rooster every time they do it, and he makes a surprised roaring call in response.

Hens certainly are noisy! Some of my hens make a screeching-yelling sound when they fly out of the coop after laying an egg, as if a predator was going to attack them. It scares my rooster every time they do it, and he makes a surprised roaring call in response.
Your ANIMALS!!

I feel like you may be missing the point...
If you create a noise nuisance on your property and it effects the people who live next to you or nearby, they definitely have the right to ask you to cease. You're no longer keeping what you do on your property. Say one of your neighbors suddenly decides to start learning to play the saxophone, at night (a legal musical instrument-on their own property)-and it wakes you up every night, 2 or 3 times a night. You'll probably get a little pissed off, ask them to stop, and eventually call the cops. In other words, something you do on your own property is your business until it effects your neighbors. But hey, dance naked under the moonlight on your own property- That's no one's business but yours!
Biggest complaint in my township - fireworks!

Causing peoples’ cattle and horses to bolt through fencing, people with PTSD to panic (this is a military town here lot of veterans), peoples pets; the township had soooo many complaints that they made fireworks illegal except for two holidays here (day before and day of, 4 days total).

We can have as many chickens as we want 😳 or horses, cows, goats…..

I sometimes wonder what my neighbours think of my noisy hens! My Roo is a quiet boy, but those hens!!!!! Oi boy!

5 acres should be plenty to keep the rooster noise at a reasonable level on the fenceline. :)

Keeping farm animals on rural properties is something normal and expected for the environment. Complaining about them is like moving next to the airport and complaining about the planes.
Which - BYW happens in Toronto all the time hahahaha - idiotic people!

But you know I have a Roo, and my neighbour 1km up the road has a Roo and I can hear that sucker here! And it just doesn’t shut the H E double L up all day long!

If that was my Roo I would throttle it! My guy crows in the morning and then he is good for the day, he sometimes answered the boy up the road but lately I have noticed he ignores the other guy. I just wonder what the neighbours near him think!

Which - BYW happens in Toronto all the time hahahaha - idiotic people!

Yeah. When I was growing up in Pittsburgh there would be periodic complaints from people who moved in near the airport.

Like they never noticed the big metal things in the sky when they were checking out the property or bothered to look at the map.

And people moving in next to a farm and complaining about the tractors running as soon as it was light.

To me, most of the time, roosters, airplanes, freight trains, and cattle make better neighbors than people. 🤣

A bit disconcerting to have cattle looking in the kitchen window (we rented a place on a cattle farm once and they'd occasionally get out and wander through the yard).

Yeah. When I was growing up in Pittsburgh there would be periodic complaints from people who moved in near the airport.

Like they never noticed the big metal things in the sky when they were checking out the property or bothered to look at the map.

And people moving in next to a farm and complaining about the tractors running as soon as it was light.

To me, most of the time, roosters, airplanes, freight trains, and cattle make better neighbors than people. 🤣

A bit disconcerting to have cattle looking in the kitchen window (we rented a place on a cattle farm once and they'd occasionally get out and wander through the yard).
Hahaha too funny, my friend was talking to me one day when he said, “WTH, is that an Emu? I’ll call you back…” and he hung up!!! Sheesh! Nothing like leaving you hanging!

Seems an emu from up the road broke loose and came down to visit his horses. He herded it onto a paddock till the owner could get it - yee gads I love living in the country 😆

But yep, people should expect what is the norm in an area one moves to, roosters and all! I do know my neighbour across from me enjoys hearing the rooster, and I know he starts crowing at 04:30! As soon as it’s light, I was surprised she said that enjoyed hearing him. Haven’t heard anything from the other neighbours so not sure what they think. .

Might drop them over some eggs and be neighbourly….

My Roo is a woos and the hens lead more than he does, he mostly stands around looking handsome surveying his kingdom.

Re: planes…. I once asked my friend if she could mention to her husband who was on the 400 squadron helicopters (I live near a military base here) if they could stop doing fly overs my place at 2am…. She told me ‘he would get right on that’ ha!

Last edited:
But yep, people should expect what is the norm in an area one moves to, roosters and all! I do know my neighbour across from me enjoys hearing the rooster, and I know he starts crowing at 04:30! As soon as it’s light, I was surprised she said that enjoyed hearing him. Haven’t heard anything from the other neighbours so not sure what they think.

Might drop them over some eggs and be neighbourly….

When I had the in-town flock with the Brahma rooster the neighbor on one side had grown up in the country and loved the sound. He'd bring his grandchildren over to visit the chickens.

The neighbor on the other side figured that if we didn't mind their muscle car then they didn't mind our rooster. :D

With roos, I don't get low hawk fly-bys buzzing the coop and foraging area. That degree of boldness from hawks ended when I got my first roo and they stayed much higher up. Unfortunately when he passed away (nothing to do with predators) the hawks started buzzing the coop area again. With his sons grown up, the hawks stopped again. While not a total guarantee, I do feel my roos have lowered the aerial threat level. Obviously this will not be the same in all situations.

Also watched my original roo keep a fox from testing the enclosure or trying to dig. I do think the enclosure would have held up just fine, but his striking at the fox kept it from being able to get in close to have a try. His sons also put a stop to an annoying cat that kept coming through every so often and harassing the flock in their enclosure.

My current roos have herded the flock away from snakes on a number of different occasions. Snakes aren't something that comes up much in the topic of predators, but they can still be a problem. This morning they got the hens away from an aggressive one that was giving me problems (got a whole different thread on that). After the main flock was moved away, one of my roos went running around very obviously looking for his chicks even though they only go outside for about half an hour each day; he checked the empty chick tractor over and over again.

One of my roos bites when he's frustrated/confused about what's going on, but he's getting better about it. He puts a lot of effort into keeping the flock together when foraging and follows voice commands for a few things so I will take the occasional nip in exchange for that. He has also stopped a vision-challenged hen I have from doing a runner into the forest when she's been spooked by things.

When I had the in-town flock with the Brahma rooster the neighbor on one side had grown up in the country and loved the sound. He'd bring his grandchildren over to visit the chickens.

The neighbor on the other side figured that if we didn't mind their muscle car then they didn't mind our rooster. :D
Hahaha yup guess it’s a compromise.

I haven’t said anything about my neighbour making noise as I figure they have to listen to my hens going BOK BOK BOK all morning!

It’s no wonder I don’t hear Mr P crowing, who can get a word in edgewise with those cackling hens!

Back
Top Bottom