Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
I like to have a rooster to sound alarms and call the hens. If I need to gather them up, all I have to do is throw a handful of scratch to the rooster and he calls all his girls in. I've had some aggressive roos and some sweet ones. One huge lavender Orp would sidle up to me like he would his hens, cooing and clucking at me and dancing the two-step. Weirdo.

My new rooster is a tiny little white silkie. He's the sweetest roo I've had yet. He's sweet to all the girls, even the little pullets, calling them up when he finds something tasty. He came with a partner and they're like a married couple. She gets mad at him if he roosts next to another hen, but forgives him in the morning. If he flirts with another hen, she gets between them. Today I saw her lay her egg and leave to get some food. Armani took her place on the nest and sat on the egg, arranging the nest like he'd seen Chanel doing. He even sounded broody when I approached to remind him that wasn't one of his duties. He only crows a little, and it's rather quiet and doesn't carry. He's never even woken me up. I hope to have him a long time.

Guys, I've been reading through your responses and I just wanted to say thank you! Everybody has given me great points to think about! It seems like roosters can be valuable to a flock by alerting the flock to danger and keeping peace in the flock. I will definitely consider keeping my little roo. If anybody has any other advice, please share:)

My rooster is really helpful when it comes to alerting the hens to sky attacks. He'll scream and they run for cover. I feel like I would have lost a lot more chickens if it wasn't for him. Plus he's super friendly and the hens like having him. I think it makes them feel safer too.
Aerial attacks are what I'm most worried about, and the main reason I'd keep a roo.

Last edited:
Guys, I've been reading through your responses and I just wanted to say thank you! Everybody has given me great points to think about! It seems like roosters can be valuable to a flock by alerting the flock to danger and keeping peace in the flock. I will definitely consider keeping my little roo. If anybody has any other advice, please share:)

Just be prepared to NOT keep him if he turns out to be a jerk.

Roosters are variable -- some great, some horrible, others somewhere in between.

They are a crap shoot. Some are fantastic, and some are a night mare, and a lot are somewhere in between.

I do like to raise them up in the flock, I think it increases your odds of a getting a better rooster. I have had 3 rooster, years a part that were fabulous. Captain - an EE, Chrome a Bielfelder, and Bye - a mutt - ugly as sin, but his actions in the flock, just kept getting him the Bye.

Know what you want, be aware, and have a sharp knife.

Mrs k

How do you all with roosters handle the over-breeding your hens, making bare-backs? Having been through this a few times with my flocks - blue kote, hen coats, etc to get them to grow back. It was stressful! I have 2 month old chicks and got a surprise roo in my batch - ration is 1 roo to 8 hens and this one is already super sweet, Speckled Sussex breed. I would love to keep him as long as he does not breed them bare!! Thanks for tips! :)

And then you've lost your good rooster...

Thanks for the advice!
This is true but also not true. Depends what the predator is. Roosters keep aware of and warn about overhead predators like hawks and such as well giving the girls time to run from any predator in general. It will put itself in harms way. Better to lose one rooster than ten laying hens.

But for instance weasel: they will come back night after night and snatch a chicken. Once they find a food source they come til it’s gone. A rooster can injure the weasel and then it won’t keep coming back. They can certainly fight off certain predators while the girls run to safety. Even if they get injured the girls are safer and at least stand a chance which is what most have a roo for. He may or may not die but he’s very worth it in my opinion.

As far as being agggrssive there is no way to know until they grow up and their hormones and genetics kick in. I have had some reeeeeaaaallly nice roosters.

Roosters provide a lot of other benefits to the flock as well. Just my opinion.

A good roo will alert the girls to danger and sacrifice himself to save them. It’s their instinct. I personally will never be with out one again. They keep the peace amongst the hens, they show them where the food is and where a good nesting area is, and you’ll get fertlized eggs that you can incubate if you choose.
Roosters are amazing. I agree.

Back
Top Bottom