Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
My experience with a roo was adopting a Buff Orpington who, with another rooster, was reported as too aggressive toward the hens and the owners. “Why in the world did I do that!?” I must have been wanting a guardian for the flock.

But it turned out well for us: after we’d done a quarantine, we allowed Bart to meet the hens. He really was annoyingly randy: I bought some chicken saddles for his favorites. He thought he’d bully us too, but every time he did his dominance dance we’d scoop him up wearing welding gloves and carry him for a bit. And give him treats when we put him down. He got through his adolescent stage and was absolutely the sweetest rooster, taking his duties very seriously and never attacking anyone.

This is only anecdotal evidence, but I think if you don’t have an aggressive breed and you take some time to work with the rooster, you can shape his personality somewhat.

I think it's worth giving him a chance. My roo has never shown an ounce of aggression in the three years I've had him. He takes good care of his ladies, even refusing to eat snacks until they've all gotten some first... he'll even carry pieces of the snacks over to those who seem to be missing out. Quite the gentleman.
I agree. Give the little dude a chance. He may turn out to be one of your favorites. I love my little dudes. Sweet boys and awesome with the ladies. I have had a couple of stinkers that didn't last long, but overall more lovers than fighters.

Our birds are young with an eight wk age difference with the roo being part of the older. I've noticed when there is death from above he growls and all the hens scoot for the coop. I have read that the breed we have can be aloof to predator danger, not this boy, if it moves he instantly goes on alert. First time with Blk Aus and I'm satisfied with their behavior and antics.
My Roo is also a black Austrolorp and he is a great protector. He’s constantly on the lookout for danger. He can be a little aggressive if he thinks you are after his girls. He and I get along fine but he will go after my daughter sometimes. She’s gotten very proficient at catching him and carrying him around. We just hatched out 16 chicks. I’m glad we have him snd recommend having a Roo (that’s not too aggressive!) if free ranging.

How do you all with roosters handle the over-breeding your hens, making bare-backs? Having been through this a few times with my flocks - blue kote, hen coats, etc to get them to grow back. It was stressful! I have 2 month old chicks and got a surprise roo in my batch - ration is 1 roo to 8 hens and this one is already super sweet, Speckled Sussex breed. I would love to keep him as long as he does not breed them bare!! Thanks for tips! :)
I put saddles on some of the hens that seem to be the favorites, and increase ratio of females to males if I can.

I've had chickens now for a few years, but never a rooster. I have a beautiful roo that I am thinking about keeping, but I'm honestly nervous that he's going to end up being aggressive and be more of a headache than he's worth. The main reason I'd keep him is to help protect against predators, but I'm not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Those that have or have had roosters, what are your thoughts on this?
i love my boys. the usual" rule" of one roo for 8-9 hens isn't the case here. i have 6 at various stages of life. it's interesting to see them interact with one another, learn, define territories, sometimes fight.. but, if you can take some time to teach them boundaries they are actually not only protective, give nice gifts of bugs to the girls, but also are smart. yes, smart. with their pea size brains these boys know when I'm breaking up an argument and tell them no fighting or they are out, they listen. ha! it's a pleasure but it does take patience.
one roo in my opinion is a must, but to have all my girls free range with no worries, even with a fox a few doors down and hawks around, is such peace of mind.
end of the day, i let the girls in the run for some quiet time feeding before bed, and allow 2 boys in with them while the others either roost on top of the run abt 7ft up , or roost in bro style together on branches in my pole barn.
early morning and right before bed is when the roosters tend to get obnoxious but also if you think about it, that's also the worst occurence for predators and also the time the girls lay their eggs. nature is so cool

I've had chickens now for a few years, but never a rooster. I have a beautiful roo that I am thinking about keeping, but I'm honestly nervous that he's going to end up being aggressive and be more of a headache than he's worth. The main reason I'd keep him is to help protect against predators, but I'm not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Those that have or have had roosters, what are your thoughts on this?

I have two. I’ve separated them because they fight. If you keep one that’s fine. They can be aggressive. Every once in a while the young one tries to come at me. Stand your grown and be boss. I just hate when I have my back to him and I can hear him running at me. My older one he is just laid back. Up to you. We have hawks so I put netting on top of coop. But they have never bothered the chickens. They go for the sparrows.

How do you all with roosters handle the over-breeding your hens, making bare-backs?
I've only had bareback hens to the point I was concerned about the rooster's claws cutting the hens' backs once. Some feather loss is not a problem, it's when they lose enough to be exposed to their claws that I get concerned. I had one rooster and eight hens. I solved the problem by eating those two hens, which left one rooster and six hens. No more serious barebacked problems in that generation or future generations.

Back
Top Bottom