Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
Well, Our two beautiful but sterile Bieldefelders roosters are shooting blanks. We are so disappointed! We purposely bought this breed because the girls tend to go broody but no sense doing that if the guys are worthless. We incubated 6 eggs to check because our old hen went to setting and after 21 days not one hatched. none developed.

Have you trimmed feathers around the vents of both the males and the females?

Some very fluffy breeds are known to have a problem hitting the target because it's obscured by the fluff.

Did it change your ability to handle your hens? Mine are very affectionate and i would hate to lose that

I have never had my flock as lap pets, but before I had a male the hens would squat for me. Now they only squat for the roosters.

(I am not part of the flock. I am The Giant Who Brings Food).

What would I do without my rooster? Who would I be watching TV with? :idunno
He prefers westerns and ww2 Marine Corps films 🎥 70441984494__271C9AB3-8531-4154-89D1-DC8A494F5515.jpeg

I have seen a rooster save a hen from a hawk attack. He lost feathers but wasn’t seriously injured. (Because I ran out there…). I have had 2 roosters killed by predators, my guess was they sacrificed themselves.
My good, non aggressive boys were hatched and raised by hens. My aggressive roosters were raised by me. I think it’s all about imprinting. The chick imprints on the first thing it sees, and if it’s a hen, he understands his place, the natural order, and grows up learning chicken etiquette from day one. If it’s a human, he’s confused about his identity and more likely to become aggressive to humans (imo) I certainly don’t know how to bring up a cockerel properly, probably some people do.
This was one of the good ones, killed by a raccoon. His son is now leader of the flock.
IMG_2210.jpeg

I have a two year old cochun roo and two 4 month olds. The big roo does a good job of watching over the hens. He does chase and jump on my hubby..might end up in a soup pot soon. The two little roos just keep to themselves right now. All my chickens free range, they have a covered run,bushes to hid under. Roo keeps all in line. I like him.

I think the first question is how will your neighbors feel about it. My neighborhood has several properties with chickens, but none of us keep roosters. Unfortunately, in neighborhoods with smaller properties (5 acres and less), a crowing rooster wakes everyone up. Some roosters only crow periodically and in the morning, others crow constantly all night long. Just something to consider 🙂

I think the first question is how will your neighbors feel about it. My neighborhood has several properties with chickens, but none of us keep roosters. Unfortunately, in neighborhoods with smaller properties (5 acres and less), a crowing rooster wakes everyone up. Some roosters only crow periodically and in the morning, others crow constantly all night long. Just something to consider 🙂

If roosters are legal in the area the neighbors don't get a veto.

Keeping chickens, including roosters, is part of being in the country. :)

Besides, roosters aren't noisy.

Highway traffic, factories, freight trains, industries, and airplanes are noisy. (I grew up in an industrial area ;) ).

Back
Top Bottom