Thoughts?

SkyStorm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Since I am like, construction incapable, my father is helping me build the coop. Last night he did the frame. It looks really nice. I thought I would have a normal coop. Not according to him. This whole area in the pics is going to be the whole coop. For 7 chickens, who are not going to free range. This will be there WHOLE living quarters. It will have nest boxes, roosting poles, and it won't have a run. Supposidly this whole thing will be there run. I said "They can't just live inside." Well, I guess it is going to be covered in chicken wire with a tarp covering 2 sides of it. That doesn't offer any protection from sprinklers, rain, heat, cold. It gets 120 degree's were we live! It makes no sense at all. Its cruelty. The chickens will live in this little space, not let out, and they won't have any protection! Thoughts? I am leaving in a week for 3 months so I don't know what much I can do. Do you guys like the idea of this? I don't! I wouldn't mind it as much if it were like 1 or 2 chickens, but 7! No run, no protection. ARGHH! Here is the basic frame with some crude chicken wire around it (not attached yet).

101_5693.jpg

101_5694.jpg

Chicken wire isn't predator resistant, either.

Do you have the chickens already? If you don't, if I were you I'd postpone getting them until after your return, so you can arrange for appropriate housing for them.

Last edited:
Woefully inadequate. This structure offers no shelter from any of the elements -- not from rain or cold or heat or predators. I can tell you are frustrated with this situation. So, is your dad responsible for the care of your chickens while you are gone?

Jenny

Well, personally, I dont put much faith in poultry netting against predators. But other than that I think you should give your Dad a chance. How big is it? It looks like its at least 8 foot x 8 foot on the ground maybe even 10'x10'. I live in Florida and I try to build my pens as open air as possible because of the heat. With as much shade as I can get without closing out the breeze. What breed are your 7 chickens? Are they bantam or standard? It looks like your Dad has a plan, maybe you should give him the benefit of the doubt. He may have done his homework and will surprise you!

Quote:
Sadly yes. Last time he was in charge of them (3 days ago) while I was gone. I came home to find 1 headless chick and 2 who were eaten by a cat. Sad, right? Chief. I will measure it tomorrow. I have 2 RIR and 5 sexlinks.

Back
Top Bottom