Three eaglets on Eagle Cam!!!

ya me too! Just read this..
Following the eagle airplane strikes last April at Norfolk International Airport, bald eagles were recognized as a serious strike hazard as part of an ongoing Wildlife Hazard Assessment being performed by USDA Wildlife Services at the request of the Airport. Due to the proximity of the eagle nest at the Norfolk Botanical Garden and the history of airplane strikes involving breeding eagles from this territory the nest was identified as a threat to both human safety and the safety of the bald eagles. A variety of management options are currently being considered by federal wildlife and airport safety experts. As a wildlife regulatory and permitting entity, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries must remove itself from the Eagle Cam partnership to avoid any conflict of interest. We have been proud to help bring this educational opportunity to the public for so many years and look forward to working with our partners on future endeavors.
I see their point...
Same here. :(

On April 14th we will be having a Chicken Swap at Barnharts in Hepzibah, Ga. More details to follow. Hope everyone can make it. It starts at 9 am.

I don't know if any of you know what is happening to the Eagle Nest where the Camera is. They are trying to get permits to destroy the nests and chase Dad and his new mate away. If you are interested in helping to save them please PM me. We are fighting really hard to save them. If you can help please do.

thanks for the update :)

Yeah, they've been discussing it for years but I will have to go read up on it. Who knows it might be best for the eagles? Certainly their concerns must be with airline passengers....

Hard to say how I feel about it right now.

edit
A good point was made in the article regarding papa eagle. Biologists feel that he will not relocate - he will build another nest. I think its kinda hard to control bird strikes but if it was primarily an issue with birds on the runways etc, the airline can employ some good dogs - like my Teddy! He even chases away (or thinks he does) birds in the air.

It would be a shame to loose that nest.

Last edited:
They have applied for permits to remove the nests and harrass the eagles away. All we are asking is for them to slow down and try other methods 1st before they do something drastic. I want nothing bad to happen to humans or the Eagles. But the airport has not tried any other options. This is why we are fighting so hard. We have a group called Eagle Peeps on FB they can show you the documentation that proves this. Thanks for your response. Terri.

Back
Top Bottom