Three eggs in the bator and a question about one of 'em

DavidILoveYou22

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 22, 2012
Eldorado County, Northern CA
Well, I am trying to breed my own birds for the first time. I just put three eggs in the incubator today, two EE X Dark Cornish eggs and one Vorwerk X Dark Cornish egg. My question is about the VXDC egg. It is only my Vorwerk girl's second egg ever, and is very small--- should I still try to hatch it or will the chick outgrow the egg before it is finished developing? I mean, my girl is tiny and bantam-sized, about a pound or less, but she was sold to me as a standard size Golden Lakenvelder. She is currently 17-18 weeks, and has been about this size since I got her. But the dad is only 14 weeks and HUGE for his age, four pounds or so. Will the chick die in the shell cause its too big?

Also, does anyone know how much water to put in the pots of a Seven-Egg Brinsea Advance incubator? I got this thing years ago, hatched 1 chick, and lost the instruction manual! Right now I have one of the pots full, which I THINK is what I remember it saying to do...
hu.gif

That pullet egg *may* have difficulty hatching. While I seriously doubt it'll outgrow the eggs, it may have a hard time hatching because of shell thickness. My pullet eggs always seem to have an extra thick shell. But, I've hatched them. Expect that a small egg will give you a small chick. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it can pip, ect if it makes it to hatch day.

As far as the water in the bator, get yourself a hygrometer. The instructions that came with my incubator say to keep all of the reservoirs full all the time and to add extra water sources to up humidity during lockdown. If I did that, I would drown all of my chicks. With my hygrometer, I can add the right amount of water to get the humidity I want. Good luck, happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom