Three months later, orchid success. and now flower pictures

farmerKEN

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Western Mass
In early march 3 of my 8 orchids started spiking and today the first bud opened. I always get them free post-bloom so it's nice to finally have flowers.

IMG_3231.jpg

Many more to come too
IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful!! I just took an interest in maybe trying some orchids out but really don't think I have the right light for them. Please share your experience? Like what temp do you keep your house at? do you have to mist them daily? What do you feed them? Do you repot? see....lots of questions They are amazing flowers. You did an excellent job
clap.gif

They are just in a northeast facing bay window. They aren't hard to take care of at all. A good soak and drain once every 7-10 days, simple repotting when needed. I never used fertilizer for years and they had large green leaves, but then I gave them some orchid "bloom booster" and, boom, spikes within a week.

and I keep my dendrobiums in a southfacing window in the winter and in our 3 season room the rest of the year, but they bloomed last january.

Quote:
I mist them when I water them, and I have a tray of wet pebbles underneath. The window is usually 65-70 in winter, and 70-80 in the summer. They get a little direct sunlight in the winter and an hour or so of it in the summer.

I actually have 11 orchids, but one is very sad and not wanting to come back to life, and another is a mini one thats too small to count.
last I counted I have 65 houseplants total.

thought I might as well update now that they're all blooming fully. now I have another phal. in spike and a dendrob in bloom and dendrob in spike. Truth be told I hate taking care of house plants in summer and kinda forget about them. Id much rather look at my gladiolas and tomatoes.

pink polka dotted yellow
IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

white and purple
IMG_3327.jpg

yellow. and the biggest
IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

Edited to use right picture links

Last edited:

Back