Three week old silver laced Wyandotte

I think boys too. Isn't Rural King like a Tractor Supply? I won't buy any from the straight run bins,cause I've heard of people in my area getting all males. I believe in the beginning of chick season,the hatcheries fill pullet orders and "dispose" of the males by sending them off to feed stores as "straight run". Sorry,I would try to get my money back at least.

I think boys too. Isn't Rural King like a Tractor Supply? I won't buy any from the straight run bins,cause I've heard of people in my area getting all males. I believe in the beginning of chick season,the hatcheries fill pullet orders and "dispose" of the males by sending them off to feed stores as "straight run". Sorry,I would try to get my money back at least.

I'm glad the feed store I bought my chicks from is not like those. They have all of the breeds separated and all of the genders too. And when I bought some cochin bantams, EEs, and a mottled houdan(they weren't supposed to be mottled houdans, they were supposed to be mottled cochin bantams but the hatchery they got them from mixed up) that were all supposed to be straight run, I got all pullets. I ended up getting one more blue cochin bantam chick that they thought wasn't going to make it. He turned out to be a very sweet rooster. He died last year because he couldn't preen himself. RIP GG.

I did have a problem once though, but not major. The buckeye chick that was sexed a pullet turned out to be an RIR rooster, and the production red pullet turned out to be a buckeye pullet. My sister had gotten Winter because it looked different from the rest and had white on it's wings, and it had been the friendliest and the calmest, then he ended up being a rooster and being mean, but it was because we were both scared of each other, and since he was smaller and I was scared he took the opportunity to attack me and keep me away from his flock. But now that I am not afraid of him, it's fine. He's actually so afraid of me that if he starts to walk into the coop if I'm in there he will actually back out of the door and not come in until my back is turned lol. So yeah I'm sticking with my feed store.

I'm glad the feed store I bought my chicks from is not like those.  They have all of the breeds separated and all of the genders too.  And when I bought some cochin bantams, EEs, and a mottled houdan(they weren't supposed to be mottled houdans, they were supposed to be mottled cochin bantams but the hatchery they got them from mixed up)  that were all supposed to be straight run, I got all pullets. I ended up getting one more blue cochin bantam chick that they thought wasn't going to make it. He turned out to be a very sweet rooster. He died last year because he couldn't preen himself.  RIP GG.  

I did have a problem once though, but not major.  The buckeye chick that was sexed a pullet turned out to be an RIR rooster, and the production red pullet turned out to be a buckeye pullet.  My sister had gotten Winter because it looked different from the rest and had white on it's wings, and it had been the friendliest and the calmest, then he ended up being a rooster and being mean, but it was because we were both scared of each other, and since he was smaller and I was scared he took the opportunity to attack me and keep me away from his flock.  But now that I am not afraid of him, it's fine.  He's actually so afraid of me that if he starts to walk into the coop if I'm in there he will actually back out of the door and not come in until my back is turned lol.  So yeah I'm sticking with my feed store.  
I got my Cornish meat birds from TSC, but the gender don't matter on them
1f609.png
I got my 2 EE pullets local. They have 80-90 percent guarantee,as like hatcheries,and if I did happen to end up with a roo,I could return it and get another pullet. They are 3wks old and look like pullets
1f60a.png
now that I have what I want for a flock,I will hatch out my own in the future.

You could raise them until they crow and send them off to freezer camp. Nothing better than home grown chicken.
I wish I could, unfortunately I don't have it in me. The only option for me is finding a farmer that can take them and he can do with them whatever he wants.

yeah Rural King is kind of like tractor supply but with less quality and management. I tried to get mine in tractor supply but they would only sells six and over. I only wanted three of them, I tried to convince the girl there but she will absolutely not budge on this minimum six order. With all of my persuasive skills I could not convince her to sell me three, that should tell you a lot. On the other hand on the rural King store they sell however many you want half of one of if you really wanted. The people there are so less knowledgeable about everything. The cleanliness is appalling, when I was there the Lady that sold them to me said that they lost a lot this week,I said why and she said without a hint of responsibility not enough bins. I'm like why don't you just get more Bins. They had so much unused space there. So in short if you can avoid Rural King I would suggest you do. Tractor supply is much better.

I heard of these things called 'No crow rooster collars' or 'Cock collars' if It would help you any. I have the same thing where I went to my feed store in Decmber and got 2 RIR 'guaranteed pullets' and one of my chicks 'Jelly' ended up being a girl but Jolene ended up being Joel. so once he starts to crow i'm going to try that with him. So I figured I could tell you since someone was nice enough to tell me & it might save their lives if you can't find em a home. :)

Your also very lucky to have a Australorp! I want some very badly! Next time my feed store get's them i'm definitely getting 2!

Edited to say that sounds awful about the people at the feed store you were talking about! I go to one called 'Shells feed & garden' it's in Tampa & I always recommend them to people around here! they take VERY good care of their chicks, always clean & happy peeping comin from them! And I've only had one loss from them & it was simply because the chick drowned, not their fault at all. And i'm not even mad about Joel being Joel. It's never happened to me before & all my birds from them have been excellent & They even gave me advice when I went in next time for feed and told them. It's a family feed store that's been n business since 1961 & I love it! An the way it smells is so nice, it smells like hay.
smile.png

I AM a little sad though because I love my chickens, they're like family & I never hurt them. but roosters aren't allowed so hopefully it'll work on him. He actually hasn't crowed yet though (ain't even tried to even when I introduced him to my ladies!) & he's a little over 4 months old. So maybe i'll get lucky & he won't at all. :)

Last edited:
Yes I've seeing those things and to me they don't seem that they would work. Yes I was fortunate to have an Astrolorp but unfortunately I think that will turn out to be a Cockrell as well. But fortunately I have found them at home once they turn eight weeks old. I wish you the best of luck of obtaining an Astrolorp chicken you have to be there just in time because people go nuts over them and they will take them quickly.

yes I finally did talk to the lady that sold them and she had some excuse we are doing business with the new hatchery and we're having problems with them something. I wish she had told me that-before I bought them, it's too late now. I don't know what I'm gonna do with two roasters I'm not allowed roosters in my area. I'll have to find some farmers and give them the rosters, if anybody would except I don't know.
Where are you located ?

Back
Top Bottom