Time From Mating To Laying?

I don't actually know the answer to that question, because my breeders free range all over my 10 acres that has lots of trees and bushes so I can't see them most of the time they are out, and by the time I do actually witness them doin' the deed I've already started finding/collecting eggs, lol (I've rarely ever witnessed them breeding in the pens). Typically in my flocks my Hens are not receptive to breeding at ALL (they just run when a male rushes at them) unless they are ready to lay, or already laying. One thing annoying that I've learned about my Hens is that they do not need to breed to lay eggs, they can be stimulated to lay by the other Hens within the flock that are already laying, especially my young pullets/first timers... which accounts for a lot of clear/infertile eggs when I incubate early in the season
roll.png

If you are letting your birds out to free range and your weather is mild, then the Hens may already be laying somewhere well hidden. Guineas are very secretive and quick about mating, so you could have missed it the first few times and it may have been foing on for a while prior to you witnessing it... so I'd start nest hunting now, and you could try keeping them all penned for a day or 2 and see if your Hens lay any eggs. If they do not lay any eggs, or they are already penned full time and you have yet to find any eggs then you could be finding eggs any time now. Also... if your flock is penned with deep bedding, search around in the bedding to make sure there aren't any covered up eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom