Time to adopt a Roo?

kayceb

Songster
May 4, 2015
Prairieville, Louisiana
I have 6 7-wk old red sex link pullets. I have a fenced in acre of land and have been allowing them to free range by day and lock them up only at night. They have been growing beautifully and are so smart. They have been a pleasure to raise so far.

Yesterday, as I passed my window I noticed something flutter that looked like chicken wings. I wasn’t alarmed as I see them stretch their wings throughout the day or when gliding/flying to another location. But I still went out I check just to be sure. Then I saw it....a huge hawk trying to take a chick!! By some miracle I scared him off and all of my chickens are scared but safe, the talons thankfully didn’t cause much harm outside of a few small scrapes to the one it grabbed.

So, should I invest in finding a roo that needs to be rehomed? I’d love to be able to keep free ranging my chicks. How do I prevent mating? If I can’t what is a reliable way to check the eggs for edible ones vs ones that can be hatched? Does the rooster need a separate sleep area? What all should I know before making this decision?

Okay, well first, eggs are always edible, even if they are fertile from a rooster. The way to see if get are fertile is to crack them open and see if there is a bull's eye in the yolk. There is no way to prevent mating between a rooster and hen. A rooster doesn't need his owning sleeping place. The best a rooster can do for protecting the girls is charge at the hawk in hopes of scaring it off. I hope this helps!

Ditto @Poultrybreeder , you can't prevent mating between the two :p

And as Poultrybreeder also said, you can eat fertile eggs and it won't make a difference. I have eaten many a fertile eggs :lol:

Plus, a rooster is very helpful when it comes to predators (warning, warding off, etc.) But they can't exactly prevent an attack from a hawk or anything other predator.

Its always a risk to free range, rooster or no rooster.

Fertile eggs are fine for eating. All mine are fertile (except maybe my huge hens who my roos can't mount because they're too big!). They're just the same.

I've eaten fertile eggs as long as I've kept chickens and that's a long time lol. They don't DO anything until they get incubated.

Okay, well first, eggs are always edible, even if they are fertile from a rooster. The way to see if get are fertile is to crack them open and see if there is a bull's eye in the yolk. There is no way to prevent mating between a rooster and hen. A rooster doesn't need his owning sleeping place. The best a rooster can do for protecting the girls is charge at the hawk in hopes of scaring it off. I hope this helps!
I agree to most of this but A true protective rooster will attack anything messing with his girls. The biggest thing is he will watch for predators and alarm everyone to hide. My rooster has killed A owl and A cat that was hunting my girls and chased off A snake. If you collect your eggs twice A day you don't have to worry if they are fertile they will be great to eat.

I don't think you can even expect a roo to protect the hens from a hawk or other predator attack. But, a roo will stand guard while the hens relax and fill their bellies on free range. A good roo will stand at alert and give warning. He will dance for his ladies and show them treats and give the treats to the hens. He will SOMETIMES take no for an answer when a hen does not want to be bred. He will not be aggressive to his hens or to people, visitors and pets. He will know the difference between a human/animal he knows and a stranger. He will accompany his girls to/from the nest, and occasionally make a "new nest" and invite the girls to lay eggs in it. He will see to it that they all go into coop at end of the day. He will help take care of his chicks, and break up hen fights.

A bad roo may be hen or human or pet aggressive. He will be food aggressive.

If you get a roo, realize that he doesn't just crow at day break. His crowing will start about an hour before day break, and he will have repeated crowing jags throughout the day. If you don't like being woken up by a roo crowing at 4 AM, you do not want a roo. If your neighbors live near by, and are not hard of hearing, they most likely will not like your roo. You also need to know that any roo is a breeding machine. He will be mounting your hens often, all day long, every day. Sometimes he will be breeding one hen or an other every 10 minutes.

It takes an experienced eye to tell the difference between an fertilized egg and an unfertilized egg. All taste great. With or without a roo, realize that YOU are in charge of the reproductive urges of your flock. Only you can decide if and when you want eggs to hatch. Don't allow eggs to hatch unless you have an exit plan for the approximately 60% of cockerels that will be hatched, and unless you are able to cull any deformed or failure to thrive chicks.

It is hawk migration season. I'm surprised you have not yet lost one of your pullets. A hawk will kill a full grown hen, and young birds are tasty "grab it and go" snacks.

You all have been very helpful! I would be collecting eggs daily so now I know fertilized eggs will be safe to eat/give away. Only reason I was concerned over mating was because I’d hate to crack an egg and plop a baby bird on my pan. Guess that doesn’t happen as much as it does in my head haha.

I know the roo wont be able to fight, but the alert is what I’m after. If he can keep the girls safe while allowing himself to be targeted so to speak would be of great help. The fact he can stay in the same coop is quite helpful too. Thank you guys!!!

I don't think you can even expect a roo to protect the hens from a hawk or other predator attack. But, a roo will stand guard while the hens relax and fill their bellies on free range. A good roo will stand at alert and give warning. He will dance for his ladies and show them treats and give the treats to the hens. He will SOMETIMES take no for an answer when a hen does not want to be bred. He will not be aggressive to his hens or to people, visitors and pets. He will know the difference between a human/animal he knows and a stranger. He will accompany his girls to/from the nest, and occasionally make a "new nest" and invite the girls to lay eggs in it. He will see to it that they all go into coop at end of the day. He will help take care of his chicks, and break up hen fights.

A bad roo may be hen or human or pet aggressive. He will be food aggressive.

If you get a roo, realize that he doesn't just crow at day break. His crowing will start about an hour before day break, and he will have repeated crowing jags throughout the day. If you don't like being woken up by a roo crowing at 4 AM, you do not want a roo. If your neighbors live near by, and are not hard of hearing, they most likely will not like your roo. You also need to know that any roo is a breeding machine. He will be mounting your hens often, all day long, every day. Sometimes he will be breeding one hen or an other every 10 minutes.

It takes an experienced eye to tell the difference between an fertilized egg and an unfertilized egg. All taste great. With or without a roo, realize that YOU are in charge of the reproductive urges of your flock. Only you can decide if and when you want eggs to hatch. Don't allow eggs to hatch unless you have an exit plan for the approximately 60% of cockerels that will be hatched, and unless you are able to cull any deformed or failure to thrive chicks.

It is hawk migration season. I'm surprised you have not yet lost one of your pullets. A hawk will kill a full grown hen, and young birds are tasty "grab it and go" snacks.
When is Hawk season? It would be helpful to know.

Back
Top Bottom