Time to adopt a Roo?

Hi kayceb
Personally I would wait til those pullets were older.
If I had to start over again I would wait on the rooster and make sure I had enough hens and hopefully older hens that could teach a rooster some respect! My 2 roosters have been misbehaving terribly and I have 17 healthy hens. To me I have one rooster too many.

Hi kayceb
Personally I would wait til those pullets were older.
If I had to start over again I would wait on the rooster and make sure I had enough hens and hopefully older hens that could teach a rooster some respect! My 2 roosters have been misbehaving terribly and I have 17 healthy hens. To me I have one rooster too many.
That is exactly why I would prefer adopting one from someone who can speak on personality before i choose a roo. I’ve heard many issues can arise with a new rooster vs an older one. Would that be a reasonable choice or would you personally stay firm I wait? If I do choose to wait, how old should the hens be? 6:1 for group size if I do adopt, would that be a comfortable level of hens to the roo?

You all have been very helpful! I would be collecting eggs daily so now I know fertilized eggs will be safe to eat/give away. Only reason I was concerned over mating was because I’d hate to crack an egg and plop a baby bird on my pan. Guess that doesn’t happen as much as it does in my head haha.

I know the roo wont be able to fight, but the alert is what I’m after. If he can keep the girls safe while allowing himself to be targeted so to speak would be of great help. The fact he can stay in the same coop is quite helpful too. Thank you guys!!!
There are some roosters that will take down A hawk. They may not kill it but A hawk that has been pinned down and flogged isn't likely to come back

That is exactly why I would prefer adopting one from someone who can speak on personality before i choose a roo. I’ve heard many issues can arise with a new rooster vs an older one. Would that be a reasonable choice or would you personally stay firm I wait? If I do choose to wait, how old should the hens be? 6:1 for group size if I do adopt, would that be a comfortable level of hens to the roo?
I'm sure there are people on this forum that can give you better advice than I can. That being said for me, I personally would wait til my hens were laying eggs before I added a new rooster. Secondly I'd have at least 10 hens for 1 rooster. The only way to find out is to get a rooster and see what happens. You maybe very happy with with the new rooster. Every flock dynamic is different is what I'm saying. I want to see what other people post...
But good luck in your decision:)

@barn206 makes some good points.

I would like to add that you are better getting an older 2+yr old rooster that someone is replacing as flock master, than a young cockerel that is surplus to their requirements. An older guy will be much harder to find though. A cock bird under a year old may dramatically change in personality/aggression, if they suddenly move to a new location with a flock of their own, especially if they have been running with other young males that were more dominant than them...... so word of mouth on temperament is not reliable. Also most cockerels are as sweet as can be up until they hit puberty and then their hormones take over. If you were to get a young cockerel that is about the same age or older than your girls he will hit sexual maturity before them and most likely cause them a lot of stress with his constant sexual demands. An older rooster is less at the whim of his hormones and has usually learned some gentlemanly conduct and would be much easier on your pullets.

Roosters are a lottery and without confident and knowledgeable management, can be a challenge. There are numerous posts on this forum about people whose once cute and friendly roosters have suddenly turned mean either towards their owner or their hens as they hit adolescence, especially when their has not been a mature (flock master) rooster or hen(s) to keep him in check.

I wish you luck with your dilemma. We all face the challenge of predators and how best to manage our flocks with the risks and benefits we have in our area. Whilst I love to see my flock free ranging, I have eventually had to concede to keeping those that remain penned up or risk losing the lot and I had multiple roosters in my flock.... so no guarantee that a rooster will protect your girls from attack let alone not bring more problems than he solves.

@barn206 makes some good points.

I would like to add that you are better getting an older 2+yr old rooster that someone is replacing as flock master, than a young cockerel that is surplus to their requirements. An older guy will be much harder to find though. A cock bird under a year old may dramatically change in personality/aggression, if they suddenly move to a new location with a flock of their own, especially if they have been running with other young males that were more dominant than them...... so word of mouth on temperament is not reliable. Also most cockerels are as sweet as can be up until they hit puberty and then their hormones take over. If you were to get a young cockerel that is about the same age or older than your girls he will hit sexual maturity before them and most likely cause them a lot of stress with his constant sexual demands. An older rooster is less at the whim of his hormones and has usually learned some gentlemanly conduct and would be much easier on your pullets.

Roosters are a lottery and without confident and knowledgeable management, can be a challenge. There are numerous posts on this forum about people whose once cute and friendly roosters have suddenly turned mean either towards their owner or their hens as they hit adolescence, especially when their has not been a mature (flock master) rooster or hen(s) to keep him in check.

I wish you luck with your dilemma. We all face the challenge of predators and how best to manage our flocks with the risks and benefits we have in our area. Whilst I love to see my flock free ranging, I have eventually had to concede to keeping those that remain penned up or risk losing the lot and I had multiple roosters in my flock.... so no guarantee that a rooster will protect your girls from attack let alone not bring more problems than he solves.

:goodpost: Agreed especially with last 2 sentences. I have been able to let my birds out to range a bit this summer, but always with the understanding that hawk predation as well as the 4 footed variety is always a risk. I remain always ready to run out the door to deal with hawks when birds are out ranging.

Many good things have been shared. :)

I have had 1 rooster with 1 girlfriend - they were good together.

I have had 1 rooster with 2 girlfriends - it worked well. (Then the three became bullies towards the others in the flock and I moved them to another flock.)

I have 4 roosters with a flock of 12 girls - no problems. Very little mating. The two head roo's are RIR and don't let the other two roo's ignore a "no" from a hen.

Every situation is different.

Any boy chicken is a cockerel until he is a year old. On his first birthday, he becomes a rooster! (Nope, no magic happens. No fireworks. No sudden change in appearance.) After his first birthday, he USUALLY settles down into the man he will be.

Different breeds, different temperaments. And despite the "generalities" of a breed, each bird is very different and may or may not live up to the breed's reputation.

I had read that RIR were very aggressive. I was a bit concerned when I adopted two RIR cockerels. Their previous moms said they were sweet and not aggressive at all. Going through puberty, those two boys were great! No crazy hormones, no aggression - just nice and laid back. I gave them a flock of younger girls. The boys accept no for an answer. When there was danger (I am currently dealing with hunters, a fox, hunting dogs, stray dogs, and a mountain lion in addition to the normal stuffs like hawks and black buzzards), my RIR's stood at the front of the flock, as tall as they could, and gave the warning. The girls stood behind them, as tall as they could, and sang the warning.

Getting a rooster does not mean he will sound a warning or sacrifice himself.

Adopting a rooster (which I am for) does not mean you will get the truth about his past/his behavior/his temperament. OR that his behavior/temperament will stay the same as time goes on.

And yes, roosters really do crow a good hour BEFORE first light!

Back
Top Bottom