Time to Euthanize..??.. need moral support and advice...

hugs.gif
Sorry about your bird. I had to put my Felix down not to long ago. I used a old cooler and put a metal wire bottom in and covered that with a nice soft fluffy towl and placed my Felix on top, then below the wire I fill it with baking soda and peroxide and close the lid. They just go to sleep and my birds are used to being transported in dark containers whenever we go places anyway.

Oh, I hate that one of your first posts on BYC is such a sad one.

Euthanizing is always hard. I am blessed with a DH who while he doesnt enjoy it, will do the job without complaint or fuss.

We hope to see you more here on BYC!

Folks, I'm sure Arlee would be grateful for all your kind words but this thread dates back to February of 2008. Hoppy's been gone for a long time.
sad.png

I do remember him though and he was a sweet little bird. Arlee had a cam on him and all.

Euthanizing is not a very good thing to talk about, much less describe in a message, but if it has to be done, and you are not going to harvest the chicken and consume the meat, then i have a method that works relatively well, and does not require touching the bird you have made the decision to "put down" or cull . It is best to look at it from the standpoint that you are removing the unhealthy bird from your healthy flock.

Use a spade shovel, (the kind found at the local hardware store with a wooden or fiberglass handle) and dig a small hole the size of the the chicken you intend to place it in it. place the chick in the hole alive, and as the bird site in the hole, quickly use the shovel as a combination spear/ ax and thrust downward through the chicken into the hole. Often the shear weight of the steel blade on the shovel will sever the bird quickly.

If your shovel is not quite sharp enought to act as a cutting tool, then use it as a pounding tool. swing the shovel over your right shoulder, using the flat part of the shovel to "smack" the bird.
This works just as well as the severing method, and death comes in a swift quick manner. Once the job is performed, use the shovel for it's intended purpose, and bury the remains of the poor chick.
sad.png

I hope this isn't morbid of me. God forbid I ever have to put down one of my chicks/chickens, because I don't think I could do it. My husband would do it, although it would bother him a lot. So me asking this would be for him, not me. I'm not getting the "two nails in a board" thing to hold the bird's head still (when using an axe or sharp cutting instrument to behead it). I'm not normally this slow to "get" something, but I cannot visualize how that is set up... Can someone describe the set-up in more detail???

Someone mentioned that this is an old posting, but it's still useful information for me and others out there who may someday have to go through a similar thing....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom