Time to move out?

rkapfen

Songster
Feb 22, 2018
Bay Area, CA
Four of my chicks are now 6 weeks old and one (Robyn) is 5 weeks. Do you think they’re ready to move out of their brooder to the coop? The lows at night here have been in the 50s. They seem mostly feathered besides some fluff on their head and kneck still. I’ve never raised chickens before so I’m very new to this. Any advice for this transition?

Attachments

• 39F0C362-233A-47EE-B275-AC7283C63F6E.jpeg
    39F0C362-233A-47EE-B275-AC7283C63F6E.jpeg
    784 KB · Views: 11
What is your coop like? Generally that is the age that I move mine out to the grow out coop (My brooder is also in the barn but I do have a heat source for that. One of the things I do when I am transitioning is to let them out all day and then bring them in at night for just a few days. Sounds like they are close to ready.

I included a picture of my coop. It’s not a fully enclosed room for them but their roosting bars are behind the solid wall so they shouldn’t have a breeze on them but the other side is open so they have fresh air. I basically let them out in their run all day now and then bring them in at night. Should I start keeping their heat lamp off all the time at night now so they get used to the dark?
What is your coop like? Generally that is the age that I move mine out to the grow out coop (My brooder is also in the barn but I do have a heat source for that. One of the things I do when I am transitioning is to let them out all day and then bring them in at night for just a few days. Sounds like they are close to ready.

Attachments

• 7363632C-9D53-4E89-AA5D-9C0CA79484E1.jpeg
    7363632C-9D53-4E89-AA5D-9C0CA79484E1.jpeg
    819.6 KB · Views: 11
They're ready. If not now, when? The longer you keep them in, the more difficult the adjustment to change becomes for them....and for you! Mine start outside with nothing more than a heating pad cave, and our springtime temps are still hitting the teens and twenties - during the day at times! We've had snow in June! Hard to wrap your head around, I know....teeny little chicks outside in a wire pen in the run with Mama Heating Pad thriving. But they do. Every batch, every time.

Back
Top Bottom