TIme to Vent!

microchick

2 Dozen Chickens Past Normal!
9 Years
Dec 31, 2014
NE Missouri
First off, I know what the solution to my problem is.....I just don't want to admit defeat and do it!

We have two bachelor roosters that live in a pen of their own in the main coop and run. I had to seperate them from the main flock due to aggressiveness towards the other roosters. They weren't just trying to work out pecking order. Once the hormones kicked in, these babies that had been together since day one suddenly had our two Welsummer roosters cornered in the coop or run and were beating the living snot out of them. One Welly wound up injured and has a bad hock joint due to the beatings he took. The terrible two would actually gang up on one of the Welsummer roos to the point that they were not even fighting back with them, just running for their lives.

So the terrible duo was pulled from the flock and put in a pen behind the barn and I began a quest to rehome them. Sign was up for three weeks in front of the house. Pure Bred Buff Orpington roosters! 5 dollars apiece, or make me an offer. After two weeks, I changed the sign to Free Roosters! Invite them over for Sunday dinner! Still no bites and there were plenty of Amish going by stopping and reading the sign. I couldn't even give these two guys away as a free meal!

In the mean time, rooster #1 had developed the nasty habit of pecking and biting me. Number 2 had one temper outburst while I was handling Rooster #1 but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was going after #1 and not me. Like most roosters the pecker would hit and run, I'd employ one of the different behavior modifications and he would stop for a while only to start in again...no big surprise. But with winter coming, I decided to move them into a spare coop in the main run so I could take care of them when I fed and watered the main flock.

The pecker really has times when he is quite docile and sweet. One day, I let them out to run around in the yard a bit (mostly they hung out near the back door) and our two youngest dogs that had been ignoring them for days, suddenly decided not to and took off chasing Rooster #1. They roughed him up a bit, pulled feathers mostly but when I caught up with them, he was sitting on the back porch, near the door begging to be let in. I picked him up, cuddled him a bit, checked him over for injuries and put him back in the bachelor pen. For a week, he has been the picture of docile roosterdom.

Last night while closing up their coop for the night, the little begger pecked me hard on my leg, held on and twisted his head. I now have a bruise on my leg from his attack. I know he has to go before something worse happens to myself or my husband now that they are getting old enough to grow spurs (24 weeks)

That would leave me with one bachelor Buff O and we all know one bird cannot survive the winter alone in the coop at night. I have no hope of reintroducing him to the flock and seriously do not have enough hens to do so. One day they slipped through the gate while I was feeding and within 5 minutes the three main roosters had noticed the invasion and the fun began. They went at one another for ten minutes. I honestly think the Wellies remember having the snot beat out of them by these two boys because they hate the ground these two Buffs walk on. They spend most of their time standing with their beaks against the fence and their hackles raised as if saying, "come on, make my day!"

I wish this was easy. I wish they would be agreeable. I wish I didn't have to make this decision.

I'm sure others have stories just like this one, like I said, I know what has to be done about the 'pecker' and just needed to vent a bit.

Last edited:
Feel better?

It will be very hard to do what must be done, and a bit of regret will always remain,
but you'll feel great having made a difficult decision and carrying thru with it.

You Go Girl, you can do it!

Last edited:
Thanks, aart. Yes, I do feel better, LOL! I think the main problem I am having is what to do with Rooster #2. #1 has written his own future. But #2 would be a good free range rooster for somebody but I can't get anyone to take him. His bad behavior has been to other roosters and in all honesty, not towards me.

Still I know one rooster cannot survive by himself over the winter so I'm forced with making the decision on letting him go also. I cannot logically come up with any other decision about him also.

How cold does it get down there? One winter we had a dog kennel in our basement with one rooster in it to keep him untill we could find someone who would give/sell us another hen. Once the warm weather arrived along came more birds.

Thanks, aart. Yes, I do feel better, LOL! I think the main problem I am having is what to do with Rooster #2. #1 has written his own future. But #2 would be a good free range rooster for somebody but I can't get anyone to take him. His bad behavior has been to other roosters and in all honesty, not towards me.

Still I know one rooster cannot survive by himself over the winter so I'm forced with making the decision on letting him go also. I cannot logically come up with any other decision about him also.
I maybe shouldn't tell you this...but....
had a rogue/extra cockerel I kept all winter in my coop partition(just a temp wire wall in main coop), until I got up the nerve to do my first harvest.
He was not particularly happy, but he didn't freeze to death roosting alone.

Our winters can be pretty mean. We live in North eastern Missouri. We can have sub zero, lots of wind and some pretty hefty snow and ice storms. Our main flock is 16 birds. 13 hens and 3 roos, and although the roos get along well and have worked out their pecking order, there is no way I can add another roo to the flock with the number of hens we have. Our coop is large enough for the 16 birds to roost together for warmth, but there once again is no way to throw two more roosters into the coop without a lot of bloodshed.

The difference in the rooster's temperments is amazing. The Alpha roo is surprisingly enough, the rooster whose hock was damaged by the two bachelor birds. A Buff O who was supposed to be a hen and decided to be a rooster is the beta/shared alpha and the extra roo is a Welsummer. All three get along well and other than an occasional ruffled hackle, there is no fighting between them. They respect me when I enter the run and give me space. I don't think any one of them has seriously offered to peck me since they were fledglings. The bachelors, on the other hand have been unpredictable since the hormones kicked in. I'm not new to chicken keeping. Logic and experience tells me that I have to cull these two roosters. It also tells me that one of the three remaining males can go bad in the future, the reason behind leaving three roosters in charge of the flock. I'm just an old softy at heart though and kept giving them chances to redeem themselves.

My original plan was for 10 hens and 2 roos. We wound up with 13 hens (added 6) and 5 roosters.

Isn't mother nature a funny old lady!

Back
Top Bottom