timid behaviour in 2/14 quail

TazClark

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2018
South Australia
i have 14 coturnix quail of mixed colours, approx 2wks old. my two darkest coloured birds are timid compared to the others. they just don't like being touched or handled, while the rest allow me to handle them without any fuss at all. they're even happy to let me pet them.
they're all the same age, all are raised in the brooder together and i treat them all the same way. but these two just act afraid of me at all times.

has anyone else had this kind of behaviour in selected quail? im not sure if its something to be concerned about or not.

Sometimes particular colours can be more timid or more aggressive. For me the Tibetans are always more wild and aggressive, but I've read on here people complaining of their gold or white ones being that way (mine are so laid back they are almost horizontal)! So it's not unusual and definitely nothing you've done. They all have individual personalities too.

Sometimes you just get birds that are like that! Sometimes they start out tame and become very flighty, other times it's the reverse, so, nothing to really worry about...just try not to move quickly, don't grab them up but merely be around them, maybe with treats...they may become tamer. Every birds different, every hatch will be different. Give it time. HTH

Back
Top Bottom