Tinamou X Domesticated Chicken = Possible?

Mar 29, 2023
Is breeding a domesticated chicken and a Chilean Tinamou possible? Also, if the mix is possible, will the offspring still produce purple eggs if the chicken has a certain color egg? Also, can Tinamous live in a flock of free-ranged chickens with no fence, and are they more vulnerable to predators than chickens due to their size? Thank you.

Tinamous are expensive and undomesticated. They belong in aviaries. Who knows what kind of diseases they could contract from chickens, plus chickens have been domesticated for years, and adapted handle all kinds of environments.
A free range tinamou is money down the drain.
Anyway, they are not in the phylum Gallus.

Not only are they not in the same genus (Gallus is a genus, not a phylum, for the record), they aren't in the same family (tinamous being in Tinamidae and chickens in Phasiamidae) nor in the same order (tinamous being in Tinamiformes and chickens in Galliformes), nor yet in the same infraclass (tinamous in Palaeognathae and chickens in Neognathae). Their nearest related grouping is that they're both in the same class, Aves. Basically, they're both birds and that's the only way in which they're related. To put it into context, ducks are more closely related to chickens than tinamous are, and it is well known that ducks and chickens cannot interbreed. I would highly doubt that breeding a tinamou and a chicken together would even produce a fertilized egg let alone an embryo or beyond.

As for care and housing for tinamous, I wouldn't even be able to guess on that. I was unaware they were kept anywhere but in zoos outside of their natural range.

Not only are they not in the same genus (Gallus is a genus, not a phylum, for the record), they aren't in the same family (tinamous being in Tinamidae and chickens in Phasiamidae) nor in the same order (tinamous being in Tinamiformes and chickens in Galliformes), nor yet in the same infraclass (tinamous in Palaeognathae and chickens in Neognathae). Their nearest related grouping is that they're both in the same class, Aves. Basically, they're both birds and that's the only way in which they're related. To put it into context, ducks are more closely related to chickens than tinamous are, and it is well known that ducks and chickens cannot interbreed. I would highly doubt that breeding a tinamou and a chicken together would even produce a fertilized egg let alone an embryo or beyond.

As for care and housing for tinamous, I wouldn't even be able to guess on that. I was unaware they were kept anywhere but in zoos outside of their natural range.
This is the link to the thread. Actually a few years ago there was this thread where a bunch of people were looking for these birds for their own private aviaries. From what I understand they had limited success on the amount of tinamous they were able to get within the country or import.

Back
Top Bottom