Tiny Gosling?

samgwright

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
Hello,

We have three goslings just over a week old. One is very tiny compared to the other two, you can see in the picture (sorry it may be hard to see). We had one gosling die 3-4 days after hatching; we are pretty sure from the brooder, it was super dirty as she was the last to hatch and the eggs we got were very dirty !
Im concerned that maybe this tiny gosling has maybe the same bacteria / fungas that is slowly killing it too? It seems to act normal sometimes (the other one had separated itself), and this one is still eating and drinking. But it just kinda sits around and chirps and looks like its breathing weird.. The breathing reminds me of what our chicks looked like before they would die .. so I separated it last night, but how ling should I separate it for? I feel bad they keep searching for each other and I don’t know for sure if its sick or not, and now im stressing it out by separating it 🤷🏼‍♀️ Also if what this gosling has is the same as what the other one had wouldn’t it have died by now, and won’t the other ones be exposed to the same bacterias by now too so what is the point in separating it. We have never had goslings so maybe its just that this one has a super chill personality or something 🤷🏼‍♀️ Any help : suggestions would be appreciated

Attachments

• 09B49B40-C1D7-43D6-8914-03F3D1D75A09.jpeg
    09B49B40-C1D7-43D6-8914-03F3D1D75A09.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 43
:welcome :welcome:welcome

It's been a long time since I've had goslings, but you said any help, so I'll do my best to help. :D

First off, geese are flock animals, so separating might not be a good idea unless you see them being mean to it. One thing about geese, they're not like chickens, so they care for each more than chickens, so they should be alright together.
How you say the eggs are dirty, it is probably a bacterial issue like you're assuming already. I don't know too much on bacterial issues, but I do know that it can cause deformaties. I do suggest if it starts appearing week and all, try giving it some sugar water, like molasses mixed into water. This saved one of my young geese so it might help yours. Also, apple cider vinegar. You can try giving them all a little bit of that in their water for immune support. I like to use Braggs apple cider vinegar, because it has the mother. That means it's the real deal.

So I'm hoping I helped you in some way. I hope that your little gosling gets better. :hugs:hugs

Goslings need more niacin than chicks so I would try to get them a boost of b vitamins in their water to start with. There’s definitly something more going on though, the others are growing and this little one just isn’t, it isn’t good. if you can get them to a vet that would be the best thing to do to figure out what’s wrong.

:welcome :welcome:welcome

It's been a long time since I've had goslings, but you said any help, so I'll do my best to help. :D

First off, geese are flock animals, so separating might not be a good idea unless you see them being mean to it. One thing about geese, they're not like chickens, so they care for each more than chickens, so they should be alright together.
How you say the eggs are dirty, it is probably a bacterial issue like you're assuming already. I don't know too much on bacterial issues, but I do know that it can cause deformaties. I do suggest if it starts appearing week and all, try giving it some sugar water, like molasses mixed into water. This saved one of my young geese so it might help yours. Also, apple cider vinegar. You can try giving them all a little bit of that in their water for immune support. I like to use Braggs apple cider vinegar, because it has the mother. That means it's the real deal.

So I'm hoping I helped you in some way. I hope that your little gosling gets better. :hugs:hugs
Thank you for the help! They have been getting ACV in their water since day one. Along with some animal safe homeopathics for anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and a supplement to boost b-vitamins. I did put it back with the others.. it seems to be pooping fine, and eating and drinking. It just gets tired easier and looks like its hard for it to breathe.

Goslings need more niacin than chicks so I would try to get them a boost of b vitamins in their water to start with. There’s definitly something more going on though, the others are growing and this little one just isn’t, it isn’t good. if you can get them to a vet that would be the best thing to do to figure out what’s wrong.
Yes they are getting lots of b-vitamins !! I agree, there is definitely something wrong. Just not sure what the best call of action is. They are getting all the right stuff, and kept clean. I just don’t want to separate her for days and days and it be a malformation or something. Unfortunately there are no vets around here that will help with small flocks or small scale farming. :(

Yes they are getting lots of b-vitamins !! I agree, there is definitely something wrong. Just not sure what the best call of action is. They are getting all the right stuff, and kept clean. I just don’t want to separate her for days and days and it be a malformation or something. Unfortunately there are no vets around here that will help with small flocks or small scale farming. :(
It could be some other deficiency, a parasite problem, bacterial like you thought or a viral problem. Aspergillosis is another possibility which is a fungal illness, it’s treated with itraconazole but it’s very difficult for even an adult bird to recover from.
If it’s bacterial the baby will need antibiotics though I have no idea what dosage to give to a gosling. Usually with birds you go by dosage per pound for whatever kind is prescribed, for a gosling you’d have to divide down from there.
If it’s viral there’s no treatment besides vaccines so the baby would have to pass the virus on it’s own, all you can do is keep their fluids up, tube feed very carefully, keep them warm, and hope for the best.

It is possible that the other goslings could get whatever the sick baby has if it’s viral, bacterial, or parasitical, but they may have also already been in contact with whatever it is so it’s really your call as to wether you think you should seperate them at this point, there’s also the chance if it’s an environmental issue like as per they’ve already been exposed too anyway.
There’s also the possibility that the gosling could have a borth defect that’s causing some issues and making it more susceptible to secondary illnesses.

If you can find save-a-chick, rooster booster, poultry nutri-drench they would all be good to give to them to try and resolve any nutrient issues that could be going on and keep them all as comfortable and happy as possible, without a vet that’s all that can really be done, which is honestly the situation many poultry owners are in. There aren’t a lot of poultry/farm/exotic avian vets out there anymore and those that are around don’t always see geese on top of it.

Have you noticed any other symptoms or differences between this baby and the others, like behavior, wobbling, pasty butt, pale legs?

It could be some other deficiency, a parasite problem, bacterial like you thought or a viral problem. Aspergillosis is another possibility which is a fungal illness, it’s treated with itraconazole but it’s very difficult for even an adult bird to recover from.
If it’s bacterial the baby will need antibiotics though I have no idea what dosage to give to a gosling. Usually with birds you go by dosage per pound for whatever kind is prescribed, for a gosling you’d have to divide down from there.
If it’s viral there’s no treatment besides vaccines so the baby would have to pass the virus on it’s own, all you can do is keep their fluids up, tube feed very carefully, keep them warm, and hope for the best.

It is possible that the other goslings could get whatever the sick baby has if it’s viral, bacterial, or parasitical, but they may have also already been in contact with whatever it is so it’s really your call as to wether you think you should seperate them at this point, there’s also the chance if it’s an environmental issue like as per they’ve already been exposed too anyway.
There’s also the possibility that the gosling could have a borth defect that’s causing some issues and making it more susceptible to secondary illnesses.

If you can find save-a-chick, rooster booster, poultry nutri-drench they would all be good to give to them to try and resolve any nutrient issues that could be going on and keep them all as comfortable and happy as possible, without a vet that’s all that can really be done, which is honestly the situation many poultry owners are in. There aren’t a lot of poultry/farm/exotic avian vets out there anymore and those that are around don’t always see geese on top of it.

Have you noticed any other symptoms or differences between this baby and the others, like behavior, wobbling, pasty butt, pale legs?
Farily certain the first gosling was from Aspergillosis, which is why we changed them into a new brooder, ect. But like you said these one could already have it now. They get a mix in the water for parasites, viral (there is more that you can do other than just vaccines: we use for chickens rabbits and pigs), bacterial and just got one today specifically for aspergillosis. Time will tell at this point, the only other thing is that its wings look droopyer.

thank you again

Back
Top Bottom