Tiny living

Buy the lot. Build the tiny house, maybe on a trailer. Build a Hugh storage shed to keep it in so no one picks on you. When you decide that it's actually to small to live comfortably in, build a little more comfortable home, like 1000 to 1500 ft. home, and convert the small home into a chicken house. The need more room too. (just kidding)
Exactamundo!

yuckyuck.gif
, but probably quite honest also.
Yup

Great idea actually, lol. Saw one episode of that TIny House show where a mom and dad were moving into a TH with two small children, boy and girl, who were to share one tiny bedroom. Now really, how long is that setup going to last in reality? And then there's the idea of trying to live with teenagers in such a setup....no thank you! I think it's fine for a few, dedicated folks, but I think Speckledhen is right, lot of people jumping in that will most likely jump out pretty quickly when reality sets in.
Ha, teenagers will revolt! I'd love one on my extra 3 acres, though. Would be nice to tell my son when he comes back from Korea (he teaches English there, been there about 4 years) that he can go sleep down the hill, not in my basement, LOL.

I just thought I would add my experience with our "tiny" home. We bought some land that was completely raw. No water, electricity, or sewer. After a ton of work even making the land half way habitable we were running out of time to build before we needed to move. Instead of getting a huge loan for a big house we could not really afford, we opted to buy a unfinished cabin that is 645sqf and had it moved by a house moving company onto the land. We finished out the cabin and had plans to add one more room.

I'm not sure we will ever get to building that other room, always seems like something else always comes up. Our cabin has two very small bedrooms and two baths. Our master bedroom is all bed pretty much! lol. Guess that is o.k. though, because we mostly sleep in a bedroom. I bought this cabin just because I wanted more than one bathroom. It is something to think about if you like some privacy. We have made $645sqf work for us but if you are creative or like to move around at all I would not suggest getting anything smaller. I agree with the other posters on storage. When I go to friends or families homes I now always notice storage closets and stand and drool over them!(Look at all that space) I spend almost all my time outdoors, but weather is not nice all the time. A home any smaller than we have would drive me crazy on bad weather days.

Good things about our tiny living space though are, small electric bill, less room for me to have to keep clean, and taxes/homeowners insurance is less. Biggest perk is we own our home outright and have no mortgage payments. If your interested in a tiny home, personally I would expand those thoughts to a "small" home. Tiny just is not practical.IMHO

Joking aside, I grew up with and. just after the depression. Was a small kid during WWII. Small homes were quit common. I knew of several homes that was nothing more than one room dismantled off of another home, and set up to live in. it can be done. Not comfortable but then survival at almost any cost. We have people living under bridges, and in cars in today's high standards. And without a pot or a chicken for a pot.

Joking aside, I grew up with and. just after the depression. Was a small kid during WWII. Small homes were quit common. I knew of several homes that was nothing more than one room dismantled off of another home, and set up to live in. it can be done. Not comfortable but then survival at almost any cost. We have people living under bridges, and in cars in today's high standards. And without a pot or a chicken for a pot.

You are very right. My husband and I both grew up in small homes, not tiny, but small. I was one of two kids, my husband was oldest of four. They were all about the size of the one we two live in now, but with all the kids. I'd rather have more land to do what I need to do for survival than a big house on a postage stamp lot where people are all up in my business. I want most of my space outside, but we do need enough inside to keep what we have to keep to make life enjoyable.

So the answer to the OP is a small house. lots of outdoor space. A very large shed to keep all the treasures in, including the small house, and lots of chickens. Right?

Last edited:
Check out Occupy Madison, I saw it on the news the other night. this volunteer group is raising money and building tiny houses on wheels for the homeless. I hope it works like they want it too.

I like the finished houses, but...I have over 10,000 books. They're all in storage now anyway, because we're renovating, but I hate it. I've lived in one room in the current house for ages, it's now two (the others don't have internal walls, rain gets in, etc). It's often pretty miserable because you can't keep it clean and wild animals break in a lot. Hard with a three year old too. While I know people who have tiny makeshift places they adore, none have kds, or a 3-4 hour work commute like me. Living really frugally with things like space and heating can be problematic if you have nearly no time before bed during weekdays.

Back
Top Bottom