Tiny pond or kiddie pool?

Corrigan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
We don't have enough land to dig a large pond, so we're trying to decide between a little kiddie wading pool or one of those small ponds from Lowe's - maybe 90 gallons, I think. The pond is obviously more attractive and holds slightly more water, but how often do you think it would have to be emptied with 5 ducks? I know it's every few days, so I'm thinking the pool might be easier, since it wouldn't be buried, although I'm assuming either way it wouldn't matter, since it'll still have to be pumped out, right? Anyone have anything intelligent to add to what I'm mulling about in my head? Right now it seems like 6 of one and half dozen of the other, with maybe a slight advantage for the pond, just because it's more attractive. lol

Ducks will make the water dirty within oh ...5-10 min. They are very messy. If you have a pond it should be pretty large and have a filter. I don't know what kind of ducks you have, but large ducks such as khaki campbell, runners, blue swedish, such as we have do not need a pond. We have kiddie pool right now, and they like it just fine. They just need enough water to be able to get their whole bill in to keep in clean. If you want to keep their water clean, you will be changing it constantly.

I have 2 small plastic pools that I got from dollar general for $7 each. They are small enough that I can dump them and refill them every evening. I had a bigger pool but it was a pain in the rear to empty and was glad when the stores started to carry the small ones again. Just remember ducks are filthy but they like their pool water to be clean to drink and bathe in. I don't know if a pond filter would keep up with duck mess.

We have always had a duck or two (or three or four) and I can tell you, even a kiddie pool is hard work to keep clean. It takes two people to dump it out. Ducks are so messy.
I suggest trying the cheaper kiddie pool to start and then you will know if throwing a couple of hundred bucks into a pond is worth it. Start cheap and work your way up.
I do like the idea of something deeper for the ducks, they are so cute going bottoms up.
We finally went with a hand dug pond in our desert dirt about kiddie pool size and the water finally stays full for the whole day. It is under a tree so doubles the duty.
my DH said a diaphram pump can get anything out of the pond but they are very expensive.

I got a tiny little doggie pool from petsmart. They love it.
love.gif

No breed of duck needs a pond or pool, all enjoy having one.
Go with whats going to be easier for you to clean. I have a hig waterer that I use and its pretty easy for me to clean,I just unscrew the lid thing on the side and out comes the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a portable power pump for $35 to use with a small kiddie pool. It floats and acts like a siphon. Connect it to the hose and water your landscape plants or compost pile. When the water level gets too low for the siphon action to work you can run the battery but the pool is usually light enough to dump by then.

Back
Top Bottom