Tiny White Bugs on butt — HELP!

I just took a very close look at my Orpington and the lice seem to be gone though she still has lots of egg sac deposits on the bases of her butt feathers. I’ve covered these in coconut oil w/clove EO mixed in. But I’m wondering since I don’t see any active lice any longer if it would be prudent just to clip these feathers off? Or is cutting feathers bad?

I just took a very close look at my Orpington and the lice seem to be gone though she still has lots of egg sac deposits on the bases of her butt feathers. I’ve covered these in coconut oil w/clove EO mixed in. But I’m wondering since I don’t see any active lice any longer if it would be prudent just to clip these feathers off? Or is cutting feathers bad?
I think that's a good idea.

This is a good study clove oil for mites, it does appear to be effective.
However, as this study was in vitro, the effect of clove oil on birds was not studied. Actually, clove oil can be an irritant to the mucus membranes, eyes, and cause neurological issues or organ damage in sensitive people, and sometimes skin in dilutions greater than .5%. Neem oil might be worth looking into for you, again, properly diluted. You'd have to somehow 'fog' the area for maximum coverage of the area without making it too strong. Maybe one of those fillable spray paint cans? (Not a paint sprayer).
You could also spray garlic water but garlic is also toxic to all animals, especially cats if not diluted properly.
You could use any of the above as long as you dilute it properly.
I can't use cloves, myself, majorly allergic to 'warm' spices.

However, as this study was in vitro, the effect of clove oil on birds was not studied. Actually, clove oil can be an irritant to the mucus membranes, eyes, and cause neurological issues or organ damage in sensitive people, and sometimes skin in dilutions greater than .5%. Neem oil might be worth looking into for you, again, properly diluted. You'd have to somehow 'fog' the area for maximum coverage of the area without making it too strong. Maybe one of those fillable spray paint cans? (Not a paint sprayer).
You could also spray garlic water but garlic is also toxic to all animals, especially cats if not diluted properly.
I have a cute little handheld pressurized pump I used for neem oil. I'll post the link if I can find it. I use it to spray down the coop periodically for mite prevention.

I have neem oil I use for my fruit trees & houseplants! What ratio dilution is recommended?

Back
Top Bottom