Tips for building a run like this?

itsmaddiejohnson

Chirping
Sep 14, 2020
Central Florida
Hello! When browsing on the internet, I came across lots of chicken runs like this one.
DIY-Plans-for-Chicken-Coop-15-1-of-1-scaled.jpg

I would love to build a run like this but sadly I am not a carpenter and I don't have much experience. Does anyone have any advice for making runs like this?

Also a few things to note:
I'm located in Florida and the predators that I have come across are stray cats, foxes, raccoons, possums and lots of hawks.

TIA :D

You'll get good experience/advise beyond mine but I can tell you that I came from no experience too. It's like anything else you just have to have the motivation to get in there and soon you'll have learned enough to keep building whatever you want. I never follow directions, I wing it, and I must say my stuff looks decent and has held up for 20years. My trick is the home depot 70% off/purple bin. Because clearly it saves money and chickens dont care how perfect a peice of wood is. Paint and trim covers up all of my mistakes. For my run like this one (for chicks,) I made wood "panels" by measuring and laying out the 1x4's frame in my driveway, stretched hardware cloth over all of it including an extra foot for skirting as well as roofing. I discovered that staplers suck unless you have the heavy duty kind for laying roofing material (which I have now,) so I used smaller sized nails bent over hardware wire instead of staples. I then "sandwiched" the hardware cloth by adding another layer of 1x4's. Erect all of the panels and screw them together in place. Mine has a shingled, angled roof. Good luck and go for it!!!

Following, we just finished our coop and are about to start on our run! I’m not sure 100% how to do it. How big will yours be? Ours will be approximately 120 sq ft.. like 6x20.

Back
Top Bottom