Tips for keeping a flock warm?

cackleberryandco

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
near Chicago, IL
We have a windchill warning tonight, lows are supposed to get down to about -10°F (-23°C) with windchills at about -30°F (-34°C). I was wondering if there was anything I could do to keep them cozy. I know chickens are fine in cold weather but I just want them to be as comfortable as possible. Heaters are not an option due to the fire risk. One of my laying hens has some frostbite around the tips of her comb and I would like to know how to prevent that from getting worse as well. They have adequate ventilation in their coop and they roost below the windows. Please let me know what I can do to help them as much as I can…

We have a windchill warning tonight, lows are supposed to get down to about -10°F (-23°C) with windchills at about -30°F (-34°C). I was wondering if there was anything I could do to keep them cozy. I know chickens are fine in cold weather but I just want them to be as comfortable as possible. Heaters are not an option due to the fire risk. One of my laying hens has some frostbite around the tips of her comb and I would like to know how to prevent that from getting worse as well. They have adequate ventilation in their coop and they roost below the windows. Please let me know what I can do to help them as much as I can…
I have kept my chickens in a gigantic kennel with bedding and water and food once because it was so cold. Also you could but a heat lamp (like for chicks) just secure it very tightly. Both of those have worked for me before!

Don't know how much this will help, but when we had a cold snap, I piled straw against their pop door - I could see daylight around the edges. I also tore up some old wool blankets to curtain the windows, and moved a couple hens from their normal roosts to warmer spots.
Good luck! Always such a worry!

Many threads about this, just do a quick search.

If you can post pictures of your coop/set up some of us might be able to provide some suggestions.

My chickens have been in the same boat weather-wise for the last month and they have been just fine with no heat. My leghorn does have a little white on the tip of 2 points of her outrageously large comb but that is it, AND I have a girl in molt right now :)

Making sure they have enough ventilation and wide enough roosts so they can cover their feet they should be just fine.

When it gets real cold (-10 F plus wind chill) my tree roosting chickens often come to the ground. The move to areas less exposed to wind and often on surfaces that do not conduct heat away from them as much. These locations can be between hay bales or even on a sleeping dog in a doghouse. When I force things like with late hatch chickens, I will make everyone roost on a pile of loose hay or straw where they can get close together. Care is taken to make certain the hay / straw does not get wet from the feces.

Most of my chickens sleep outside in pens exposed to wind. When extreme cold hits, they will ready move into a box laying on its side to get out of wind. That is arrangement I use for single birds.

If a bird is in poor weight and / poor feather then it will have more difficulty resisting cold.

One of my laying hens has some frostbite around the tips of her comb and I would like to know how to prevent that from getting worse as well.
Not much you can do, best to leave hands off.

Please let me know what I can do to help them as much as I can…
I give a dose of electrolytes/vitamins to help stave off cold stress.
Both summer and winter doses in here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Back
Top Bottom