Tips for raising chickens?

Alex the Chicken

Chirping
Nov 29, 2021
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
I'm gonna raise new chickens (the old Alex went missing) and I'd like if some people can help me to give me some tips on raising chicks. Oh and I have questions too

1. I'm gonna get two babies this time. I'm gonna be raising them as pets 100% so if I get two, will they still turn their attention to me or will it be harder to raise them because they're gonna be together? And if it is any solutions?
2. Some weird pairing- Can I keep 2 baby males? Or can I keep a chicken with a different species like a pheasant or a duck, and can a rooster live with a male pheasant or a male duck? Or do one of them have to be the opposite gender?
3. Flight plan. I have a lot of space around so if I were to get chickens when can they begin to fly? Alex begin jumping around his box at a week old, but I only actually began to teach him to fly after a few weeks when he was a bit older. When is the youngest age chickens can fly? I mean I know they naturally can but is there a way to like boost their enthusiasm for flying?

Yes I'm still a bit of a fledgling myself so I'll get a bit of help from my parents and grandparents. Although my parents didn't really like the older Alex that much they still helped a bit.

Aw man there went my 39/39/39 streak
3939393939.png

I would definitely get 3 chicks if possible in case one dies. Either 3 female. 1 male and 2 female. Or 3 male (if you just want pets not eggs). Handling them daily will make them friendly. They will also have a Flock to bond with and won’t get lonely at night when you aren’t there. Singles are difficult. You will need a brooder and source of heat for 4 weeks.

But I wonder if I can pair them with a different species. Like perhaps 2 roosters with a pheasant rooster as well or a drake. Is it possible? I'll probably get them when they're babies and I won't get any females.
And also which makes a better pet? Pheasant or duck? Any other poultry that would make a good pet and can live well with chickens?

`And also when I say pet I mean like an actual companion. A bird (or some birds) that can be by my side when I'm down, can take for walks around the park and take on adventures (family never minded the old Alex [who went missing] coming with us).

I would probably just stick to one species to start. Ducks can live with chickens but it depends on the males temperament. Wouldn’t want the duck to try to mate a roo if he was hormonal.

Back
Top Bottom