tips of comb turning black no other symptoms- PLEASE help

Quote:
I believe you can use vaseline for frostbite. Not sure if it is as a preventative or treatment. Better luck with your roos this winter!

Guess it wouldnt hurt to try! Though catching the tiny booger will be fun indeed LOL He looked like a roadrunner as a baby and he runs about as fast as one! LOL

Sneak up on him at night, then turn the light on, cover his eyes with a wash cloth and apply. Good luck. Don't get hurt
smile.png

Quote:
Guess it wouldnt hurt to try! Though catching the tiny booger will be fun indeed LOL He looked like a roadrunner as a baby and he runs about as fast as one! LOL

Sneak up on him at night, then turn the light on, cover his eyes with a wash cloth and apply. Good luck. Don't get hurt
smile.png

Haha He still has nubs. No real talons to speak of yet. Ill be fine haha. He's a wimp, hes just a terribly fast one! LOL And yeah the last time I caught him was at night when he was roosting.

I posted a thread not too long ago about the same breed roo with the same issue. He's healthy as a horse and has no other problems. My research and the responses I got here led me to conclude that it's high levels of testosterone. It's funny because it's very dark on the tips of the points and mostly at the back first thing in the morning and once he services a couple/few of the hens, it lightens up. If you do a search for my forum name and the word comb, you might find the thread with pics.
This is EXACTLY what my rooster's comb does. (He's a very handsome Barnvelder.) And he is quite healthy (seemingly) otherwise. I always notice it on the day's he's extra "attacky" in the mornings, because I pick him up and carry him around to show gentle dominance and try to bond with him a little when he gets like that. He always gets a short tour around the yard, then a beak and nail trim, if he needs it, and then coconut oil massaged into his comb, waddle and feet before he's returned to "his" flock. That's when I notice.

Now that you say "testosterone," I'm thinking that sounds perfectly right. I figured out this morning, he seems to go into attack mode when he feels he needs to be protective of [one of] the ladies. I'm going to check later in the afternoon and see if things have "lightened up," all the way around!

This is EXACTLY what my rooster's comb does. (He's a very handsome Barnvelder.) And he is quite healthy (seemingly) otherwise. I always notice it on the day's he's extra "attacky" in the mornings, because I pick him up and carry him around to show gentle dominance and try to bond with him a little when he gets like that. He always gets a short tour around the yard, then a beak and nail trim, if he needs it, and then coconut oil massaged into his comb, waddle and feet before he's returned to "his" flock. That's when I notice.

Now that you say "testosterone," I'm thinking that sounds perfectly right. I figured out this morning, he seems to go into attack mode when he feels he needs to be protective of [one of] the ladies. I'm going to check later in the afternoon and see if things have "lightened up," all the way around!
Sure enough! I just went and checked on them all, and he is calm and now foraging about and his comb is a nice uniform red, all the way to all the tips. What a relief!!

Back
Top Bottom