Tips on how to bond with your ducks

NewDuckMama23

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hello 💜 I have 3 pekin ducklings 5 weeks old 2 girls & a boy and I wanted to get some tips on how to get them to like me more (lol😂) they do follow me around but they run away when I get close to them usually they come up to me quacking an follow me around I’ve been getting them to eat out of my hand but when I try to pet them they run away 😂 I want them to be friendly with everyone an not to be to scared I do have dogs in my backyard to that they’ve been around since they were 1 week old when I got them so I’m worried that I haven’t got to bond with them properly due to getting them at a week old an my dogs always in the mix (trust me I’ve tried getting them out of the way but it’s hard) it’s just me an my toddler outside with them most of them time an my pitbull protects them during the day when we can’t be outside he does get them a little nervous when he runs around but I think they are getting used to my dogs

I'd put the dogs up too so you can have just the ducks with you and sit at their level and start by just offering them treats in your hand. I haven't met a duck yet that wanted petting AND I have had ducks since 2004. My Muscovy drake lets me pet him and pick him up [not real crazy about being picked up] but he was a lone duckling that hatched and his mama attacked him so he became my baby. Most of the rest of my ducks will eat out of my hand but don't want me to touch them. Only time I do is if I need to look them over for some reason.

I'd sure be careful with your dogs around the ducklings though all it takes is one bite.

I'd put the dogs up too so you can have just the ducks with you and sit at their level and start by just offering them treats in your hand. I haven't met a duck yet that wanted petting AND I have had ducks since 2004. My Muscovy drake lets me pet him and pick him up [not real crazy about being picked up] but he was a lone duckling that hatched and his mama attacked him so he became my baby. Most of the rest of my ducks will eat out of my hand but don't want me to touch them. Only time I do is if I need to look them over for some reason.

I'd sure be careful with your dogs around the ducklings though all it takes is one bite.
I try too I have 3 ones an old man and he doesn’t even get near the ducks the other two are younger an wild I tried keeping them away but they hop the fence and I also put them in the house an they got crazy lol so best option for me is to just have them around but not close 😑 and okay forsure I’ll do that more and yes they aren’t super happy with petting but I have a toddler so I’m trying to get Them a little used to it

I would have just you and the ducks! Our ducks love to "help" with yard chores, so digging holes or raking leaves and disturbing bugs is great fun for them. They usually come running when they see us grab yard tools because they want to snag any bugs or worms we dig up.

I'd also get some slightly frozen peas (nice for summer) or thawed peas and just sit in your yard and feed them peas. I've only had one duck who seemed to be okay-ish with being pet. He used to come up and snuggle up and tuck his head under our hands or arms. He definitely doesn't enjoy it now, though. We've had to pick him up and wrap his feet to treat bumble or other injuries, so I think he believes we're bullying him when he gets any pets now 😅

I would definitely keep the doggos inside occasionally even if they go a bit crazy. It will be harder to form a solid bond with the ducks in my opinion. Aside from that, offer lots of food, don't try to constantly touch them (they'll think you're being mean to them), and spend a lot of time with them regularly.

Back
Top Bottom