Tips on how to keep a single guinea happy

ohiochickenmom

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 17, 2013
We lost our last chicken to a dog accident today!! đź’” We've not gotten any new chicks in years as we're just at a point that as much as we love chickens, we just need to take a step back. So as our flock dwindled over the years, we let it. I knew the day would come eventually that we would only have 1 left, and I was never sure what we'd do! I thought we had more time, though!! I know guineas, like chickens, don't do well on their own, they need a flock! Even if we could find our girl a flock though, my kids don't want to give her up. Understandably!! Any tips on keeping her happy on her own? In all the years we've raised chickens, ducks, and guineas.... This is new territory for us!! I feel so bad for her!! Thanks for reading and any tips you might have are welcome!

We lost our last chicken to a dog accident today!! đź’” We've not gotten any new chicks in years as we're just at a point that as much as we love chickens, we just need to take a step back. So as our flock dwindled over the years, we let it. I knew the day would come eventually that we would only have 1 left, and I was never sure what we'd do! I thought we had more time, though!! I know guineas, like chickens, don't do well on their own, they need a flock! Even if we could find our girl a flock though, my kids don't want to give her up. Understandably!! Any tips on keeping her happy on her own? In all the years we've raised chickens, ducks, and guineas.... This is new territory for us!! I feel so bad for her!! Thanks for reading and any tips you might have are welcome!
If you really feel bad for the guinea, do what is right for it and rehome it to someone that has a flock of guineas.

If you really feel bad for the guinea, do what is right for it and rehome it to someone that has a flock of guineas.
Wow! Well, I sure hope the 2 newbies I referred to this site this year don't get you for advice!! That was kind of a jerk thing to say!! Obviously if it was just me, you know, a sane adult mind, I would do just that!! As already stated though..... my 11-year-old and 13-year-old who have hand raised her from hatch and have already lost EVERYTHING with this crap year and virus aren't ready to part with her!! If you don't have anything helpful, why even comment?!?

Wow! Well, I sure hope the 2 newbies I referred to this site this year don't get you for advice!! That was kind of a jerk thing to say!! Obviously if it was just me, you know, a sane adult mind, I would do just that!! As already stated though..... my 11-year-old and 13-year-old who have hand raised her from hatch and have already lost EVERYTHING with this crap year and virus aren't ready to part with her!! If you don't have anything helpful, why even comment?!?
I gave you the best advice for the guinea. You don't like that advice because you don't really care about what is right for the guinea.

I’m sorry but I agree with @R2elk .

Rehoming her would be the very best thing to do. I understand that your children are very attached to her. I would explain that if they love her, they have to do what’s best for her even if it’s difficult!

The only other option would be to get her a friend! They are very social animals and NEED a flock. If not, they do get depressed and can even die.

Maybe you can find her a new guinea flock nearby so your children might be able to visit her sometime and see for themselves how much happier she will be in a new flock of her own kind.
I think your children are old enough to understand and this could even be a great opportunity for your children to take a step back and learn to put her needs above their own wishes. If they agree to do this, they can be really proud of themselves as true animal friends.

I’m sorry but I agree with @R2elk .

Rehoming her would be the very best thing to do. I understand that your children are very attached to her. I would explain that if they love her, they have to do what’s best for her even if it’s difficult!

The only other option would be to get her a friend! They are very social animals and NEED a flock. If not, they do get depressed and can even die.
This was a much better way to say than @R2elk who said I didn't care!! I couldn't even sleep because I was so upset over her being alone!! Thank you for your input!!

Maybe you can find her a new guinea flock nearby so your children might be able to visit her sometime and see for themselves how much happier she will be in a new flock of her own kind.
I think your children are old enough to understand and this could even be a great opportunity for your children to take a step back and learn to put her needs above their own wishes. If they agree to do this, they can be really proud of themselves as true animal friends.
There were a lot of tears, but I was able to convince my kids to do what's best for her!! They tried plenty of negotiations (i.e. how about we get new chicks and get guinea back when the new chicks are big enough to be together), but I said no. We really need to do what's best for guinea. I told them to imagine if they made new friends and then weren't allowed to see them a month later. They would be sad. The kids understood!! So we were able to take her to our friends house yesterday. She only lives about 15 minutes from us, but out in the country!! She has chickens and ducks, pigs, horses, and more!! Guinea has a new flock that she is already friending and tagging along!! There wasn't even any pecking order issues!! There was definitely a mix of happy/sad tears for all of us seeing the pictures and videos of guinea in her new home!! Happy because we're so glad she's happy!! Sad because we miss her, but it's what's best for her!! I've attached some pics of her checking out her new home and hanging with the chickens!! Thanks for your input!!

Attachments

• received_730656827730321.jpeg
    received_730656827730321.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 6
  • received_671537846970511.jpeg
    received_671537846970511.jpeg
    734.9 KB · Views: 7
  • received_237397690809512.jpeg
    received_237397690809512.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 7
There were a lot of tears, but I was able to convince my kids to do what's best for her!! They tried plenty of negotiations (i.e. how about we get new chicks and get guinea back when the new chicks are big enough to be together), but I said no. We really need to do what's best for guinea. I told them to imagine if they made new friends and then weren't allowed to see them a month later. They would be sad. The kids understood!! So we were able to take her to our friends house yesterday. She only lives about 15 minutes from us, but out in the country!! She has chickens and ducks, pigs, horses, and more!! Guinea has a new flock that she is already friending and tagging along!! There wasn't even any pecking order issues!! There was definitely a mix of happy/sad tears for all of us seeing the pictures and videos of guinea in her new home!! Happy because we're so glad she's happy!! Sad because we miss her, but it's what's best for her!! I've attached some pics of her checking out her new home and hanging with the chickens!! Thanks for your input!!
Hi Ohiochickenmom, I’m so glad to hear that you were able to find a better situation for your guineas hen!

Back
Top Bottom