Tips on telling hens from toms?

themenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
These are my first turkey poults. They hatched on May 6th, so they're about 9 weeks old. Any tips on telling who's who at this point? Thanks in advance.

It can take up to 6 months before some reveal themselves. Tom's are usually heavier, hens keep a line of feathers up the back of the neck when they lose their head feathers, and when they go through one of their baby molts at around 4- 6 months the hens chest feathers will be tipped in white while the toms will be solid. Tom's will get bigger snoods and their heads tend to change colors more often.

These are my first turkey poults. They hatched on May 6th, so they're about 9 weeks old.  Any tips on telling who's who at this point?  Thanks in advance.

You have no image.
Also, I have the same question...

Oh I hope it is!! Why do you think so?? I want to know what to look for. I do have a tom from last year and from what I remember it looks a lot different, but I setiouly have NO CLUE
The snoods is small, there's feathers up the back of its neck and the feathers at the throat area aren't as far down. The legs look thinner and more feminine to me.

I found a tip on BYC somewhere else. If you turn the bird on its back, in your hand, and it holds both legs against its body, then its a hen. If one or both legs are held out, its a tom. Worked with the batch of turkeys we had last year, and works with chickens. The original poster said it works up to 90% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom