Tired of This

I can't reply at length now, but what I believe you call hardware cloth ends at the ground.
A weasel, mink stoat, fox and jut about any other ground predator can dig under.
If I wanted to build a secure run I would dig a trench at least 6 inch deep around the outside of the vertical fence. Bend a piece of hardware cloth at 90 degrees, say one foot in each direction and lay it in the trench. Attach the vertical section to the existing fence and cover the section in the trench with earth.
With all those bits of wood etc you cant see any breaches in the fence so I would get rid of all of those. Best part of security is being able to see any holes or burrowing.

Usually a 19g 1/2 inch hardware cloth with a two foot apron secured to your coop/run base is recommended. Could also put on concrete. Others landscaped around with landscaping rock. Multiple avenues may be needed. Many recommend attaching predators lights to coop at each end facing out. Electric fencing is another option.

Y'all...

No matter what we do, something kills our chickens. I really am starting to think about surrendering and just stopping raising chickens. I just can't take the heart break.

Of course you could do that or increase your predator protection. Others have stopped when facing this dilemma. So you would not be alone in this decision.

Also consider getting a trail cam. It'll give you a definite answer to what's getting your chickens and how they're getting in. Get a live trap, if you don't have one already, and set it out there & see what you get.
My first thought after seeing your coop is to install a door so you can close the pop door at night, & close the window that you have a branch through at night also. I can't tell from the photos, but on the back side of the coop, at the bottom, is it covered? If not then loads of things can crawl under the coop through the lattice and walk right in. You might even have something living under there.
The cover for your run... get some nylon pull ties and put them every 3-4 inches all the way around. Make sure it's flat and tight all the way around. Put them closer together if it seems like it's gapping.
Everyone else's suggestions are also valid, but unnecessary to repeat.

So Sorry... 1 ) First make sure your coop is secure ..I also wondered do you have a floor in your coop ? Wood or hardware cloth or cement ? Real hardware cloth over the that open window or close that window . 2 ) Chicken wire on the run only keeps chickens in not predators out ..it is too flimsy.. we used galvanized horse fencing for our run https://www.homedepot.com/p/FARMGAR...nized-Steel-Class-1-Coating-348308B/202025614 . We only let our chickens out when someone is home ..other wise they stay in the coop . You need to be more vigilant now as Predators know they are there . Figure out how they are getting in and close that up . . Some States allow you to kill animals attacking your flock some dont .. If they are alive ... they will come back

I sympathize with your aggravation and pain.
This is our 9th fall with chickens - and the predators seem a bit more determined this year than in past. Thus far, it's all young critters, newly out on their own. I call that 'natural selection' - they select to be in my coop/run/yard, I select for their DNA to be removed from the gene pool. Although tonight I missed on a young coon...it'll be back tomorrow night, as will I.
What's working our yard in N. IL? Daytime: Red tailed hawk pair and at least three kestrels; Nightime: four possums, trio of coons, lone coyote. Either I've seen these critters in the past 4 days or they appeared on our trail cam during same period. Haven't had ANY issues all summer...weather must be heading for a turn, as the animals always know before people do...
What's my solution? Fortification! Remove overhanging branches that grew this summer. Adding angled metal caps to the fence posts (kestrel's just hanging out on the tops of the 10' tall fence posts!). Adding motion activated lights (batteries ran out) and moving them daily. Changing the time the automatic doors close to earlier in the night - from 8:30pm to 7:30pm, maybe 7:15pm. Removing overgrowth plants and weeds surrounding the run, so I can more easily see what's going on in there...sorry asters, you're pretty, the butterflies like you; but you're too thick, time to thin y'all out! And perhaps some netting over the run to discourage the kestrels. They're the peskiest daytime predator currently. Coons are the peskiest nocturnal.
I know this is a short season - once cold weather hits, they'll move south or to where food is more available. Problem is there's too much food right now - the garden is in the midst of harvesting, there's lots of young chickens around growing up, the grapevines are fully ripe....it's a veritable smorgasbord over here!
Good luck. Keep reading. Keep trying to outsmart the predators. Find your weak spots and remove the opportunities for other things to get your chickens.
Or as my spouse says, "the only one who eats my chickens is me!"....!

Back
Top Bottom