Titan Brooder 28 degrees need it at 35 degrees

nadrojsack

Songster
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Durham, uk
ive bought a titan brooder
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Titan-Incubators-30x30-Brooder-Hen/dp/B00AE8DFCI

Ive measured the temperature and im getting around 28 degrees, has anyone used these brooders? any suggestions?

Im wondering if the brooder heats up to 35 degrees, perhaps the box is too large, perhaps i need to insulate the box.

I think the brooder is low enough but maybe it could be lowered for the quail chicks.

I have one of this type brooder heater for fifty chicks, different brand. However I believe this one works like mine… and does not read what one would expect. They work different with the heat down and are not 'air' heaters, they work by contact with the chicks, like a momma hen, heat from above. Is there a temp setting on yours? I don't have one on mine, your regulate it via the height of the legs. Put your hand on it, it should not burn you, but be nice and warm to the touch of your hand, against the bottom of the device.

Plug it in, let it warm up, insert chicks, adjust to their liking. I think they are a sweet way to brood babies.

Hope this helps,

RJ

I see, so do you have yours touching the chicks the first few days? no temp control. Im sure it will be okay as you say ill have to see how the chicks react. thanks

Place you fingers on the surface the chicks will be in contact with. Is it comfortable? Too hot or the least bit chilly are not good, but if it feels warm to you, it will to the chicks also. They will cuddle up close to it as they need to.

i see so were not going for an exact number here just warm? are the chicks going to be incontact with the metal plate or just above their heads? Thankyou

They need to be able to be in close contact. Think "mother hen" and you'll figure it out. Always watch the chicks closely until you are sure they are happy with the temp. Plaintive cheeping is a sigh that they are uncomfortable. If they are sleeping a lot, or just sitting and pecking at stuff, they are happy.

Yes, they need to have their backs touching the bottom of the heating plate. It will most likely be lower than you may think, I found it kind of hard to get used too at first. It is a lot different, to what we were/are used to. I found that by using an angle, one side a littler higher that the other, the chicks are able to 'find' the right spot for them.

The old rule still applies however, all chicks under the plate = the legs are to high; all chicks out from under the plate = to low a leg setting. Watch the chicks, they will tell you what they want and need. Once you get the hang of it, you will most likely, enjoy this style of brooder heat.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

the angle thing did cross my mind, what angle did you use may i ask? im probably going to have to lower one end to a quail egg size arent i.

ive lowered two legs, the size of a quail egg, the other two about 2 or 3 inches. ill see how they get on and where they settle.

How about an inch if you go long side, you will get the hang of it quickly, there just is just nothing to prepare you for this type of change in the program, except experience. I understand… it does not seem right, well at first anyway. Yes you will need to be tight on one end and a little open on the other, is how I started out, once I got the hang of it.

I see you are in the UK and thus, I don't know your temp where you will keep this brooder. The heat plate will not keep a cold place warm, just the chicks under it. If you are outside and it gets to freezing and etc. you will need supplemental heat as well. You most likely know this already, but on the chance you or others reading this, think the brooder plate is a total replacement, it is not, in some cases. I would say they work (or at least mine) in 72 F or warmer average temps. Just trying to cover all the bases, the forum is a wonderful resource, but won't match speaking directly with one another, we don't know what each other knows and or does not know.

Get in the habit of raising the rods a spin or two every day, once you find a starting point. As you do know, they grow fast and a little every day is no stress for anyone, you or birds, and keeps everything in proper tune.

Best of luck with this,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom