TN is a loooong state...

For Hot2Pot: I couldn't locate the man I know who had/used to have quail. A search of lexisnexis and the twra web site gave a little info. TCA 70-4-404 talks about the cost of permit animal or per facility, including small game. I'm thinking, based on 70-4-403, quail are considered Class II wildlife. 40-4-410 says that you must have a permit to propagate the wildlife for sale, trade or barter, but doesn't specifically include raising them for personal use. Page 3 of this document: http://www.tennessee.gov/sos/rules/1660/1660-01/1660-01-28.20100926.pdf lists fees for licenses.

McKenzieCN: I think we're close to each other, if your name indicates where you live. I'm in Huntingdon.

Actually it's my name
smile.png
But I'm in Somerville, not too far.
smile.png

Hey West Tennesseans, did anything ever come of 4Hchickenproject's suggestion that we start a West TN thread? I'm all for it. Right now, I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a chicken drought and I could use some company. :D

Susan - Fayette County

Last edited:
I'm just north of Moscow, jacobplipford, moved here a year and love it. I've got four four hens and a hand-me-down silkie rooster named chuck, but would like to expand my flock by a half-dozen hens or so. Because mail-ordering a small number of chicks is prohibitively expensive, I'd like to buy local and am in search of a reputable source.

I also have a question about local feed options. I've been using TSC's store brand, but I'm not sure it's all that good. The girls free-range, they have free-choice grit and oyster shell, but their eggshells are much thinner than they were in our previous home in NH (where they were the Blue Seal store brand). I picked up a bag of Purina "Layena" yesterday to see if that might make a difference. What do you use? Do you like it?

Susan

I live east of Moscow close to Lagrange I use either co op brand or go to halls feed in collierville he sells prime quality he also just got chicks in too

Hey Connie, I'm glad to hear from Lauderdale county. I live on Curve Nankipoo road, and am just getting started. I have spoken to Alex W. about getting some Buff Orpington pullets. Are you familiar with his operation?

Back
Top Bottom