To eat or not to eat?

Chickeemariee

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
My girls have some tapeworm segments/eggs (the little white dots that move like zombies) in their poop. I’m in the process of worming them with zimecterin gold horse paste, once and then again in 10days. I’m about a week into my first dose & it’s killing me to toss the eggs. Does anyone ever eat theirs or maybe eat one egg from wormed mixed with a non wormed egg(store bought for example, I’m worming my whole flock). I know you can cook them & feed them back but I’m a grad student who works and has an internship so cooking & cleaning a meal for my chickens isn’t something I quite have time for. Let me know what you guys do with your eggs & if you ever throw caution to the wind & eat them.

I had the same problem with worms and I am still in the process of deworming. Those little worms are disgusting to see.
I use Roosty's Natural Chicken Dewormer. It has natural ingredients so you can still eat the eggs.
Here is the link to the pills:
Natural Chicken Dewormer
I would suggest these if you do not wish to throw out your eggs when deworming.

My girls have some tapeworm segments/eggs (the little white dots that move like zombies) in their poop. I’m in the process of worming them with zimecterin gold horse paste, once and then again in 10days. I’m about a week into my first dose & it’s killing me to toss the eggs. Does anyone ever eat theirs or maybe eat one egg from wormed mixed with a non wormed egg(store bought for example, I’m worming my whole flock). I know you can cook them & feed them back but I’m a grad student who works and has an internship so cooking & cleaning a meal for my chickens isn’t something I quite have time for. Let me know what you guys do with your eggs & if you ever throw caution to the wind & eat them.
There's no need to worm your whole flock when it comes to tapeworms, unlike roundworms. You only have to worm the birds that have segments in feces. You can use a black magic marker to mark the combs by process of elimination of which birds have a the segments and the ones that dont. You might be surprised that only two or three birds might be tapeworm infected.
Insects are the vector for tapeworms in poultry. Not every insect is tapeworm infected. I've dealt with tapeworms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom