To feed inside the coop or outside in the run????

I do what Mrs. K does, food and water in the run, house is really only for nighttime roosting and I would rather have mice in my run than in the henhouse.
That being said My run is covered where my food is but if we get a really big windy thunder storm I've had to toss the feed from a half full feeder full because it got so soaked by the blowing rain and wouldn't flow out the feeder any more ( also didn't want it to mold) I also find my run a lot easier to clean than my henhouse.

I do what Mrs. K does, food and water in the run, house is really only for nighttime roosting and I would rather have mice in my run than in the henhouse.
That being said My run is covered where my food is but if we get a really big windy thunder storm I've had to toss the feed from a half full feeder full because it got so soaked by the blowing rain and wouldn't flow out the feeder any more ( also didn't want it to mold) I also find my run a lot easier to clean than my henhouse.
Thank you for your suggestion. I tend to agree. We will try this method and I am sure it will work. My husband tells me "chickens are creatures of habit", therefore, they will be trained the way we want them to be. You are right, it is much easier to clean the "run" , than the hen house. We are in No. California and don't have too many thunder storms, but we do get a few in the summertime. Our run is covered, so we don't worry about the food getting wet. I don't think we will get mice.............. but who knows. They are crafty little critters!

i have my 3.5 gal nipple bucket outside in the run which is only covered by netting. the smaller waterer is inside coop. i move the food in and out depending on the weather. if it rains i sometimes slide it under the raised coop. i am slowly preparing for my first winter. i just ordered my automatic door opener from www.chickendoors.com, the food will be permanently inside as will the water. i will have access to electric and will be able to keep the water from freezing with a submergible aquarium heater. i will invest in another 3.5 gal waterer for outside come next spring. all i have to do now is wait for the first of my eggs! i figure i won't break even until the chickens lay at least 240 doz eggs!!!! if my math is correct, it will take about 2 years!!!! loving every minute of this experience!

Back
Top Bottom