to hold or not to hold?

BYC pros I need your thoughts, opinions, and knowledge here.

I read one article saying not to hold your chicks to much. I read another article saying to hold them and spend time with them as often as possible so they can get used to you.

Which is it? Two varying articles with contradicting theorys. What do you think or know on the subject?

My biggest mistake with my hens when they were babies was NOT holding them more. Out of my dozen chixs only 3 ended up becoming adult hens that like (& allow ) me to hold them for any length of time. You don’t want to hold them too much - there is a line you don’t want to cross else they won’t learn to fend for themselves.But if you develop that bond with them as baby chicks you’ll have memorable times 🐓💕with them as adult hens.

I've always held my chicks. They are still very alert to predators, as adults. Currently, I have a few that love to roost on my shoulders, and a couple that are a little more skittish. They were all held the same amount, as chicks, and the same breed, so much of it depends on the individual personality of the bird. The nice thing about holding them from a young age is that they get used to being held. When you do need to treat any type of illness, or examine them, it's easier on a bird that doesn't mind being held. Even my hens that are a little more skittish do fine once I do pick them up. That's been my experience, but to each their own.

I don’t know too much about this subject or why you shouldn’t hold them but I used to hold my baby chicks all the time and they grew up to be very friendly. I’d say go for it

I held my flock when they were chicks. Also I often put some chick feed in my hand and let them eat of of it. Now they are all 6 Pretty, Strong, Loyal, Friendly companions! I say Hold them but not to much if they get squirmy, It's best to put them down. They might not be comfortable being held for long periods of time.

I always held my chicks, even snuggling with them in the evening until they were sleepy enough to go under the heat plate. I also took them out of the brooder and sat with them in a larger pen, with the heat plate in there if they wanted. Being curious, they'd come over to sit on me, and found I was warm, too. Now, they come right over when I go outside, and will happily sit on my lap for 30-40 minutes to be petted. Any interaction, picking up or otherwise, will make a chick more likely to love you, as long as those interactions are always positive.

I always held my chicks, even snuggling with them in the evening until they were sleepy enough to go under the heat plate. I also took them out of the brooder and sat with them in a larger pen, with the heat plate in there if they wanted. Being curious, they'd come over to sit on me, and found I was warm, too. Now, they come right over when I go outside, and will happily sit on my lap for 30-40 minutes to be petted. Any interaction, picking up or otherwise, will make a chick more likely to love you, as long as those interactions are always positive.
Yes! My chicks would snuggle with me to!

I think the thing you're supposed to avoid when it comes to holding them is snatching them up, as that can definitely make them scared of you, because it is predatory behavior. However, I have found that if I have to use a swift motion to grab one, it helps to hold them gently but firmly (so that they can't flap, kick, or scratch) until they calm down, while talking to them soothingly.

Edited cause of typos, lol

Maybe about the article that said not to hold them is about them getting cold. I don’t know how true it is but an article I read said to try to not take them out because they have to be a specific temperature, but I hold mine. They like being in my hair so I put them there with my hands cupped around them so that they are warm. They probably think being in my hair is like being under a hen.

Back
Top Bottom