To Hot?

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
Just put my batch of 3 week old chicks outside in the big house today. Its about 92 degrees, but the run is covered for some shade..I noticed 3 of the red colored chicks are dropping their wings very low, their all panting. they have fresh water, but dont seem to be drinking any..Should i take them back to the brooder, or let them ride it out?

I would take them back to their brooder. Just to be safe. Or, if you have, you could give them frozen water, ice cubes, to peck at. And make sure they have some shade.

I took some ice and put in water, and they drank some.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    822.2 KB · Views: 14
That is not set up to be an oven so good there.

Can you provide a picture of bird with wings distended. If eating a lot then heat production higher, but want to rule out a health issue.

heres the red birds with saggin wings...They have only been out in big run about 3 hours now

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    690.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    762.7 KB · Views: 17
He is growing / processing food from crop. Both produce heat. Wings are positioned for dumping heat. I was concerned of possibility he was drooping wings because of being weak.

All looks good.

Alright. thanks very much, i was just worried they were to hot outside..i will keep checking on them.

It's a new environment, so they are huddled for security. The added body heat from the other birds is causing them to be extra warm, on top of being stressed out from the new environment. Just give them a chance to settle in. They will have to get used to outside temps and their new living situation at some point. At least they aren't completely feathered in, so they will be able to shed excess heat better than fully feathered chicks would.

Back
Top Bottom