To insulate or to not insulate?

AmericanKraut

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Minnesota
I'm rehabbing a little shed (put in windows, etc for ventilation), but thinking on insulation. It's summer and I just want this done and can tell myself I can add insulation later. But time flies and fall and winter roll in and I'll wish I just did it while the coop was empty, clean, and still being tuned up and just do it all.

We're in Minnesota. Below zero is very common where I am, -40*F below zero with windchill is not uncommon. I do have the option of running a line for a heat light. Quite a few Minnesotans do not insulate. I don't say that's wrong but I'd to do what's best and yet not go unnecessary extra work, time, and money if they really are completely fine without.

I have australorps, black copper marans, brahma, cream legbars, and EEs. I will put some petroleum jelly on those with combs.

Thanks so much for any help! :)

Added note: I do have the option of moving my coops into our garage, however it does seem a bit cooler in there sometimes in there winter because there's so sun. But there's no wind trade off.

Last edited:
I say "not". I'm assuming that -40F is a wind-chill rating. So keep the direct wind off of them in the coop. Position ventilation openings so that a breeze moving from one to the other does not cross the chickens roosting area.
Easy for me to say, +10F is the coldest my chickens have ever had to deal with.

I say "not". I'm assuming that -40F is a wind-chill rating. So keep the direct wind off of them in the coop. Position ventilation openings so that a breeze moving from one to the other does not cross the chickens roosting area.
Easy for me to say, +10F is the coldest my chickens have ever had to deal with.

Thank you! I'm curious about high ventilation, too. It seems the norm and of course lets the most heat out in the summer, but also then the most heat in the winter. Or am I over thinking this? I have a pretty big new vinyl-framed window that my dad was getting rid of, and adding a smaller one off-set. Thinking some high up long-narrow rectangular vents by the roof with hardware cloth and then leave the windows closed in the winter?

The reason for ventilation is moisture. Cold and wet is a killer. High ventilation is key along with airflow while avoiding drafts.

I'm in Pennsylvania. Rarely see temps below 0, although had some this past year, along with wind chills in the -teens. No insulation, lots of open area, the rafters under my roof are not closed in. I have a slopped roof with 2½ inches open space the 12' length of the roof, as well as windows I didn't close.
My opinion? No insulation, why insulate and leave a window open?

I had some birds lose combs, no Vaseline for me.

The issue with providing heat is if the power goes out, the birds are left without heat they are accustomed to. A bigger issue in my book, as powerr outages can last days and come during the worst weather.

Insulation does more good in summer, especially if your coop has no shade, than in winter.

Best thing for winter ventilation is to have a tall coop, ventilation high above roost areas, with ways to damper the venting against prevailing winds, storms, blowing snow.

Good article in my signature about ventilation.

The reason for ventilation is moisture. Cold and wet is a killer. High ventilation is key along with airflow while avoiding drafts.

I'm in Pennsylvania. Rarely see temps below 0, although had some this past year, along with wind chills in the -teens. No insulation, lots of open area, the rafters under my roof are not closed in. I have a slopped roof with 2½ inches open space the 12' length of the roof, as well as windows I didn't close.
My opinion? No insulation, why insulate and leave a window open?

I had some birds lose combs, no Vaseline for me.

The issue with providing heat is if the power goes out, the birds are left without heat they are accustomed to. A bigger issue in my book, as powerr outages can last days and come during the worst weather.

Good points! From what I hear most people here turn the heat lamp on at -20* without windchill. It gets pretty vicious degree by degree from there, but they are wearing the best feather coats! With windchill it's downright painful to the core around -40* out too long on the face or any skin. But they are out of the wind.

You have good points with the ventilating and insulating!

Back
Top Bottom