To Make An Olive Egger......Legbar?????

It doesn't matter which sex carries the blue gene..... the blue gene can come from either parent.

However, I doubt that crossing a Legbar rooster on dark brown egg layer will produce a pullet that looks anything like a legbar hen.

JMO

Last edited:
It doesn't matter which sex carries the blue gene..... the blue gene can come from either parent.

However, I doubt that crossing a Legbar rooster on dark brown egg layer will produce a pullet that looks anything like a legbar hen.

JMO

I thought i was refering to how you get nice olive eggs like the picture above. The darker the egg(marans) crossed to a blue egg gets nice dark olive. I wasnt refering to the way a pullet looks.

The darker the egg like a marans egg with a blue egg layer gets the best olive color. Im not sure but i think you need a blue egg breed roo over a dark egg laying hens(marans) for eggs like that

Yes a dark brown egg layer like a Marans crossed to a blue egg layer will likely produce nice olive eggs. It doesn't matter which parent carried which gene for the 1st cross.

I cross My BCM rooster to a Blue egg laying EE
the results are F1 pullets that lay this color

I then crossed that F1 OE pullet back to a BCM rooster and recently hatched 2 of the eggs above. I am hoping for a deeper richer color in the F2 eggs.
If I establish that then these F2 pullets will be crossed to my CL rooster to make F3 OE, hopefully keeping the deep rich color but intensifying the green color in it.

Last edited:
Chicken pickin
What beautiful eggs you got there wish you good luck with your f3 project.Do you sell eggs?????

Thanx

Yes I do sell eggs. But they wouldn't be available until Spring.

I would have available

1. EE x BCM eggs(you would get blue and green eggs for hatching) that produce the F1 chicks who should lay the olive color I posted above.
2. OE x BCM eggs(you would get the olive eggs posted above for hatching) that produce F2 chicks Im am not sure of what color eggs they will lay until late spring.

If your interested you can PM me

Ok, here's a question. I have an Ameraucana/Welsummer rooster who is covering several different breeds of my brown egg laying hens, including an Ameraucana hen and two cream Legbar hens. I'm trying to get OEs. Will any of these crosses work?

Ok, here's a question. I have an Ameraucana/Welsummer rooster who is covering several different breeds of my brown egg laying hens, including an Ameraucana hen and two cream Legbar hens. I'm trying to get OEs. Will any of these crosses work?

They should give you green and or a light olive

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom