To move or NOT!

TundraChick

Songster
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
West Viriginia
My husband has been offered a house and 81 acres to live in free while he is employeed. It is a large farm house stuck in the 70's but still much bigger than we have now. It has a morton building and an old barn.

Currently we are on 2 acres in a rural development that does not allow farm animals (although we do have 14 chickens now). I have all my fruit trees, garden already set up and producing. We are almost finished the interior remodel.

The move would be for about 5 yrs only then we will return to the house we live in currently.

I have 3 children 4, 8, 10. I am not crazy about switching schools and having to bring them back in 5 yrs. Plus my youngest is special needs. Or the whole moving thing...Ugg
th.gif

Although it is a great opportunity, it is next to a large state park with a swimming and boating lake. We can try out farming on a larger scale. The store building (see pics) is on the house property and will be used as a country store run through the state park and we have been told the children can volunteer at the store. They also said they will sell my eggs. Most of the acres are currently hay and leased out. We will get all the buildings but the store for our use. I will have to start a new garden. No use doing fruit trees or anything that takes a while to produce.

Why am I having such a hard time with this!
he.gif

Anyone want to rent a house near Cumberland, MD on 2 acres...

House and morton & barn location
parkhouse023.jpg

another building. This one is finished inside and has electricity. it sits in the front yard. Canning house??? no running water tho
parkhouse008.jpg

Morton building. It has a finished room inside (could be a coup???) hate to mess it up. Otherwise it is a big empty space with a gravel floor. It has electricity and is close to a well pump.
parkhouse007.jpg

Barn, its a mess. No electricty or water. I don't think I can predator proof it either.
parkhouse014.jpg

Country store to be run by the park, its in the front yard but a good way from the house.
parkhouse024.jpg

House
parkhouse009.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow! That would be a tough decision there. Especially since the garden is in and life seems so well where you are. Good luck with your decision. That would be a tough one for sure!

BTW: If it's any consolation for you, the house and out buildings are very lovely! It sounds like a wonderful place for the kids to be.
smile.png

I also wanted to come back and mention that chicken tractors are very moveable.
wink.png

Last edited:
If you rent out your current place and live that the free place, I would do it. It would keep your options open.
I would go for it.

No option to buy, it was deeded to the state and they cannot sell property. That said, I can't afford it anyway, I would expect it to be valued over million.

Wow, nice place to move to ... and especially if it's free. You could rent your place and save a bundle.

What does you dh think? what do your children think? Are they excited? Can you find special care for your 5 yr old. That makes a big difference.

Not knocking your cultivating work, but trees and gardens can be created and will grow, it's the people that would concern me. And yes, sometimes children don't know what's best, but you can probably get a good sense from them and research the schooling available.

Will this be a great experience for them... more farming and wilderness? These are things less likely taught in school, but very important. It will create self awareness and teach life skills.

guess I didn't help... sorry. It's a good dilemma to ponder.

Other pluses are its only 15 min from work, he drives an hour now. Thats another $200 month in gas savings. Not to mention he wont have to get up at 5am..work 10 hrs....get home at 6:30. He has also been told he may be able to work the store and the recreation areas around it and not have to drive to the park everyday.

Just trying to work thru it all, I'm a skeptic in the face of a great opportunity.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Oh My God , to tell you the truth , there would be NO hesitation from us deciding to move or not .
I would be packed and ready . WHO knows could be alot longer than 5 years . children will be 9 , 13 , and 15 in 5 years . Children adjust very quickly , its the adults that seem to think children can not adjust . Beautiful place with lots of run . house is simply beautiful . What size is the house ?

Back
Top Bottom