To treat or not to treat?

deeszoo

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
I haven't posted on this site for a long time. I have really learned a lot here, though!! I got out of chickens for several years because of predator losses, etc. And here I am back again!

So, I am trying to build my stock up again. I purchased some older birds. And, I have purchases some chicks. I like raising them myself because I think they get to know me better and are less afraid of me. Blah, blah.

Anyway - so one batch of chicks I brought home ended up with cocci. I had never treated for that - I always raised my chicks in the house, and mostly on wire, so it was not an issue for me previously. So, I treated that, lost a couple, but for the most part, every thing was fine.

I got two more batches of chicks - each from a different place and brought them home within a couple of days of each other. Probably not the best decision, but I did it. One batch promptly got sick with cold-like symptoms. I got Tylan, treated them, and lost a couple. I save the rest, but they still are not really thriving... they are growing and feathering out, but still a bit sleepy eyed. I treated them about three weeks ago.

The other batch of chicks never showed any symptoms of illness. I treated them with ACV and extra vitamins and minerals to boost their immunities. Until a couple of days ago. One died, we have no idea why. It never had symptoms and was one of the oldest and biggest ones. (the chicks were not all exactly the same age in either batch). Next day, a bird had "cold" symptoms, sneezing and coughing. So I started it on Tylan. The next day, every single chick was sick! I really thought they would all be dead this morning. I gave them all a dose of Tylan and put it in the water. They made it through the night. But, it will be a long haul again.

No, I have no idea what they have, and I do not have an avian vet in the area. I tried to find one the last time I had poultry. I wonder if it is worth it to treat these birds, or if I should just call it a failure and cull them. The other chicks have never recovered fully, so I wonder if they guys will. I am just so FRUSTRATED!

When I had chickens before, I only had an illness that didn't respond to ACV and garlic one time. I am not sure what they had. Every bird I had got sick. They stopped crowing and talking and it was scary! I treated them with anti-biotics and I think I lost one or two out of the whole batch. When they recovered, they were good as new. I didn't notice a loss in production, and they all gained weight back and were awesome. Everything else they have had responded to simple remedies such as ACV and garlic, increased vitamins/minerals, and other remedies that I can't think about right now.

The older birds I have are not having problems right now.

Any thoughts??

seems like you are purchasing from the wrong people or not quarantining. when you bring new bird in always keep them away from your flock and observe for 30 days

Back
Top Bottom