Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I can't help but wonder about the bubble wrap. Eggs are porous, is it possible the wrap could interfere with air and moisture exchange? I've hatched them,but I always wonder....
from what i have read the bubble wrap should actually help to a degree, it helps them to not lose moisture in transit, making for smaller ACs for the start of incubation
and there have been studies that lower oxygen levels for the first week of incubation and upping it for the last 2 can help make more robust chicks

BUT i have NOT actually tried any of this, just read a few articles

@Molpet thanks for that link, I will read it.

I have been using the foam sleeves, the eggs seem to have less damage when they arrive (cracks) Other than Finnie having 2 cracked eggs, BUT The number hatching is disappointing.

I do not wash or disinfect shipped eggs, I never considered them losing moisture. I might try bubble wrap around the foam. in stead of more foam to stop some of the moisture loss,

I am open to any ideas

my understanding of the biggest difference with shipped eggs is that they are more likely to have damaged suspensory ligaments (the squigly white part that is connected from the yolk to the shell on either end, meant to keep the yolk centered). an egg can look perfectly fine, no cracks and have fatal internal damage. my best experience has come from ones that were bubble wrapped and then packed in crumpled up news paper... the more they are protected from jarring vibrations the better (imagine the delivery truck going over speed bumps or the boxes getting dropped rather than placed when unloaded). beginning incubation within 5 days from laying seems ideal as well.

Last edited:
I like reading.
smile.png
Hatching at High Altitudes post #37908
O2 deprivation to day 10 of incubation followed by regular oxygen concentrations leads to stronger chicks post #33815

not sure if this link will work but...

HOW TO REQUEST AND SHIP EGGS Sally Sunshine Way...
HOWTOREQUESTANDSHIPEGGSSallySunshineWay.docx940k .docx file

this document has a lot of other info in it too: ^^

Last edited:
@Molpet thanks for that link, I will read it.

I have been using the foam sleeves, the eggs seem to have less damage when they arrive (cracks) Other than Finnie having 2 cracked eggs, BUT The number hatching is disappointing.

I do not wash or disinfect shipped eggs, I never considered them losing moisture. I might try bubble wrap around the foam. in stead of more foam to stop some of the moisture loss,

I am open to any ideas
I would definitely try the bubble wrap. My experience with shipped eggs says individually bubble wrapped eggs have a higher hatch rate. You may get the occasional broken or cracked egg, but overall hatch rate should still be higher :)

While I did not get a weight on day 1 am going to make the Toads stand on my scale on day 7 or 1 week old. So Monday. Hopefully I will get a weight each week. So Ralphie at what age did you see the difference in male and female? I am crossing fingers for a 1 to 3 ratio roo to hen. Haha I'll probably get 3 to 1 ratio though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom