Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Ralph I placed "Ugly Chicken" in with Foghorn. Lol
gotta come up with a name for these monsters if any hatch

Ralph I placed "Ugly Chicken" in with Foghorn. Lol
gotta come up with a name for these monsters if any hatch

Could you share some details on this "Ugly Chicken" character JR? Looks pretty cool I'd say!

I lost a toad rooster yesterday, No Idea why, I am assuming just bad heart, I did not see any injury, but I did not look close.  This worries me some, maybe I did not lengthen their lives as much as I thought.

Happen to weigh the "croaked" toad roo? Just curious what he totalled in at.

You have got to be kidding.Ralph has had spectacular success. If you will start at the beginning of this thread and pay attention, you will gain valuable insight in how to raise a CX. Everyone jumps in and thinks they have the solution.It's very difficult.Failures are the norm. Comparisons between other animals is pointless. I have a CX named "Foghorn" a little over a year old. I tried following the "guidelines" Out of over 50 birds, I had one that might just give me my first Toad in a couple weeks. When I got home from work today I thought his jugbutt was toast.laying on his side. Turns out he was sleeping.
After all is said and done I don't expect him to make it much longer. You can free range. You can limit the diet.
You can't erase the genetic issues that have been selectively bred for. Unless you have the patience, the skill and the knowledge of someone like Ralph. To date I have not seen or heard of anyone who has came close to Ralph's or Linda's birds. They've taken different approachs and their results are spectacular.

Wow. Sorry you got your blossoms wrankled, Bash, but you need to calm your cookies. I didn't say jack about him doing a bad job. If you wanna pick a fight go back to 4chan or something maybe?
There was mention of concern that the lifespan of the birds wan't long enough from the OP. I was offering genuine advice that he look into how other giant animals health problems are managed for longevity if he wants to try to increase the longevity of his own birds, and reminding the thread that giant breed animals NEVER live as long as normal-sized counterparts.
It's a good idea. Saying this like "comparisons between other animals is pointless" is nonsense. Dogs are extremely genetically flexible and we know a lot about them. You can thank research on dogs for helping to cure TONS of other human and animal diseases. Comparative biology is a HUGE and well respected field.
People have been developing techniques to increase the lifespan of giant companion animals like horses and dogs for a century. It could genuinely benefit this breeding program. It's worth a good bit of research.
Good grief.

I have never had a CX live that long, I do not know of anyone that has experimented with them get them to live over 2 years. When I had CX's I severely limited the intake and still had trouble getting over a year. BTW I did free range and recommend to anyone trying this to incorporate free ranging and exercise into the program.

With the Toads I do not have the leg issues the CX seem to have or the circulation problems, but there are still some problems, hopefully selective breeding will take care of some of those.

Thanks

This is my bird. She was tractor raised as a chick until 20 weeks with a group of CX I raised for meat. I picked the healthiest, most medium-sized hen I could out of the lot and then moved her into my flock after. She's a CX from Meyer hatchery. She lived 2 years and 2 months and layed about 1-2 eggs a week for about a year. :p She slept on the floor of the coop on a bar on the ground rather than up on roosts with the other birds, she ran with my whole flock with great gusto. and she was my favorite. I was really sad to have lost her. :( She died in her sleep in the chicken coop overnight one night with no warning.

It aint much over 2 years. But hey, there it is. :) I know Aoxa has a lot of experience with raising cornish crosses to lay and beyond by using free-range methods.

Last edited:
Could you share some details on this "Ugly Chicken" character JR? Looks pretty cool I'd say!
Happen to weigh the "croaked" toad roo? Just curious what he totalled in at.

I did not weigh him, however, I looked him over in the daylight and found he had severe ascites. This is common in failure of the heart or kidneys. About 80% of all CXs and toads die of this.

This is my bird. She was tractor raised as a chick until 20 weeks with a group of CX I raised for meat. I picked the healthiest, most medium-sized hen I could out of the lot and then moved her into my flock after. She's a CX from Meyer hatchery. She lived 2 years and 2 months and layed about 1-2 eggs a week for about a year. :p She slept on the floor of the coop on a bar on the ground rather than up on roosts with the other birds, she ran with my whole flock with great gusto. and she was my favorite. I was really sad to have lost her. :( She died in her sleep in the chicken coop overnight one night with no warning. It aint much over 2 years. But hey, there it is. :) I know Aoxa has a lot of experience with raising cornish crosses to lay and beyond by using free-range methods.
Grats, Holms got one to about the same age. Bertha my oldest toad lays 4-5 eggs a week. She roosts on a 2x4 about a foot off the ground. Bertha appears to be fuller than your bird, but with no external clues it is hard to tell. Hopefully, by breeding the longer living to each other we can gain longevity. I also went for larger thicker legs to help with the leg problems. It seems to have helped, and it gives me a higher dark to light meat ratio. I like dark meat. It is taking me years to get to this point. I am excited to be on the cusp of spreading their numbers, however, I am realistic enough to know the whole thing could go south in a generation.

Yep my hen was about the same age. Laid every other day for about two month and quit. I ended up putting her down. She had some breathing issues... Her comb turned Purple and so did her breast. Or my Muscovy drake tried to breed her... They really like each other... :sick

Ugly chicken looks like an oriental game fowl.she stands straight up like the Saipan, no comb or wattles. Marans and CX have different types of Oriental games in their foundation. Ugly is a throwback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom