Toe Injury

Oct 10, 2022
Last night our little one was coming out of the run and one of chickens got their foot caught in the closing door. The skin around the nail appears to have been ripped back and the toe is quite swollen. She is isolated and we have treated with Vetericyn Plus and Neosporin. Is there anything else we can do?

Hello! Is it bleeding? Once it's scabbed over she can be put back with the flock. Apply ointment nightly when she's roosting. Also, if possible fix the area where she got caught, or it may happen again.

It has finally stopped bleeding but she's also not putting weight on it right now. I haven't put her back with the flock because I was worried that she'd get bullied until she's healed.

I have no idea what to do about the run door. My kiddo was exiting the run (my husband and I were supervising) and she tried to run out. The door doesn't close quickly and he was manually shutting it any ways. She just happened to place her foot in the way at the worst possible timing.

It has finally stopped bleeding but she's also not putting weight on it right now. I haven't put her back with the flock because I was worried that she'd get bullied until she's healed.

I have no idea what to do about the run door. My kiddo was exiting the run (my husband and I were supervising) and she tried to run out. The door doesn't close quickly and he was manually shutting it any ways. She just happened to place her foot in the way at the worst possible timing.
Oh ok, that sounds worse then what I was thinking, yes, keep her seperated until she can bear weight. The treatment you're doing is perfect. She should make a full recovery.

For a possible addition to the door situation, how about placing a board inside the bottom door so they have to jump on it before they can exit. I'm actually thinking of doing something similar on mine. I've read quite a few of these kinds of injuries, 😢. I have two RIR that are very anxious to get out of their run in the morning, your hen sounds similar

Last night our little one was coming out of the run and one of chickens got their foot caught in the closing door. The skin around the nail appears to have been ripped back and the toe is quite swollen. She is isolated and we have treated with Vetericyn Plus and Neosporin. Is there anything else we can do?

Please post some photos of the injury.

Sounds like you treated the injury o.k. Vetericyn to clean and Neosporin. You can wrap the toe with vet wrap, but you'll find it easier to wrap the whole foot, this will help protect the toe and likely make her foot a bit more comfortable. She's going to be sore for a while. Check the injury daily, change the wrap.
I put hens back with their flock and observe to see if they are getting picked at. Usually this is not the case, but there's always the possibility.

Getting toes, beaks and heads caught in doors is one of those things that can accidentally happen.
I've done it. The fix for next time is just to be more aware of who or what is in the door before you shut it completely.

Okay, lots of Vetericyn, attempted wrapping, and Neosporin got us to this point. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Attachments

• 20221111_122343.jpg
    20221111_122343.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom