Tolbunt behavior help please!

lnhackford

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Salt Lake City, utah
I have one tolbunt. All of my girls are about 11 or 12 weeks old now. I taught all of them to use the ladder to go down into the run, and to tuck themselves in at night time by climbing up it, and we are working on learning to roost, but for some reason they prefer to lay by the opening that leads to the run. My tolbunt on the other hand just is NOT getting it. She likes to sit by the door to the run and watch the other girls play outside, but will not go outside unless I put her out there, and if I do put her out there, then she won't go in and will try to just sleep outside so I have to put her back in the coop. If I set her on the roost, she won't come down unless I go get her in the morning. She walks around and seems okay but she has been laying down a lot lately and it's just weird that all of the sudden she is so unwilling to play outside or do anything other than sit in the coop. Why is this happening? Her top poof pretty much completely covers her eyes. Is she acting like this because she can't see? Should I cut the feathers around her eyes? Please help! All of the others are doing just fine.

Alot of people have trouble with their polish acting like this. I would try to clip back those feathers, and she will probably perk up
1f601.png

Thank you. All of my other polish don't have as massive as a poof as she does, so that is the reason I guessed it could be because she can't see. Is there a specific way that I should clip them?

When people have done so to silkies, some say it's like it's a whole different bird - energized and alert. A lot of folks think silkies are stupid, when it fact their crests and beards obscure their vision. I would imagine the same for Tolbunts etc. Many breeds of dog in the show ring, have their hair tied back with bows, so they can see and be seen.

It would be good to have a helper to steady the bird, rolling the bird up in a towel can keep it calmer. Be sure to use a blunt tipped scissors & do a little cutting at a time.

If you don't want to cut, hair tape or a sturdy hair tie are other options. I usually focus my trimming on my Silkies little muffs under their eyes and their crests near the outside of their eyes.

I'm thinking I might try the hair tie route first so I can avoid cutting. I don't think it will cause her to get picked on or anything since most of my other girls are polish too. I also have 3 silkies but they haven't fluffed up fully to tell if it will cover their eyes or not. Thanks everyone for the advice!

I went ahead and put her top poof in a ponytail, and aside from the fact that she looks like a complete goofball, she seems more active. I will continue to monitor her today and see if I can notice more improvement.

This is good information for me since I'm pretty sure my free exotic chick from McMurray's is a Polish! She's bright eyed now, but I may need to tie her feathers back too, if they become too thick and long.

Back
Top Bottom