Tom attacking new hen

Amos-Moses

Songster
Nov 14, 2017
Alabama
I am brand new to turkeys. Got a 1.5 years old Wild Eastern tom last week, and he is settling in to his run nicely. Brought home a 3 year old Heritage Bronze hen yesterday to keep him company, and he immediately postured up on her (puffed his feathers out, turned colors I hadn't seen before, and stood over her). He then started pecking the mess out of her. He proceeded to follow her around the enclosure pecking and yanking at her head and neck. Is this normal, or is he telling this hen to get out of his territory? I don't want my tom to be lonely, but I don't want this poor hen to be pecked bloody under my watch.
Thanks

I'd remove her from the pen before he seriously injures her. Can you pen her next to him until she gets acclimated to her new home, and he gets acclimated to her ?

I am brand new to turkeys. Got a 1.5 years old Wild Eastern tom last week, and he is settling in to his run nicely. Brought home a 3 year old Heritage Bronze hen yesterday to keep him company, and he immediately postured up on her (puffed his feathers out, turned colors I hadn't seen before, and stood over her). He then started pecking the mess out of her. He proceeded to follow her around the enclosure pecking and yanking at her head and neck. Is this normal, or is he telling this hen to get out of his territory? I don't want my tom to be lonely, but I don't want this poor hen to be pecked bloody under my watch.
Thanks
Your tom is establishing the pecking order. Unfortunately since he only has one hen, she can end up being picked on too much. The best that you can do for her is too get more hens. I try to keep at least 4 or 5 hens for one tom.

When you bring in a new member of your poultry family you should put it in quarantine before introducing it to the rest of your flock. Making the quarantine pen where the newcomers can be seen by the rest of the flock helps when it comes time to actually introduce them. The quarantine also helps to prevent you from bringing in new diseases or pests to your flock.

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate the information. I ended up separating them for 24 hours and now they seem to be getting along fine. I do plan on getting more hens to keep him company, but right now the old lady is capping our turkey count at 2!

Back
Top Bottom