Tom kills the chicks

spangle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Morocco
I am new to the site, so I hope I am posting this the right way...

We have only been keeping Turkeys since last March, we bought 2 males and 2 females.

The first batch of 8 hatched eggs 5 survived.
The problem is why do the males kill or injure the young, is this a common problem?

We sold the first male as he was aggressive to our chickens although he left the Turkey chicks alone, they were then 12 weeks old, the second one was sold when we were certain one of the chicks was a male. He was fine but then recently he injured one of our 2 week old Turkey chicks, looked like he was trying to mate with it and a hen then stamped on it and it died soon after.

We have 7 newly hatched Turkey chicks now and have shut the hen and chicks in a separate garden so this doesn't happen again but wonder why the Toms are a threat.
They are free range all our Chickens and Turkeys sleep together in bushes

Any help on this subject would be appreciated

You must separate the Toms from the broody mothers and young. I had the very same problems in my first breeding season. Toms are interested in only one thing - mating. They will step on and otherwise be not so caring towards the babies. Once the young ones are at least 8 weeks old and big enough to get out of the way you can allow them back together.

You must separate the Toms from the broody mothers and young. I had the very same problems in my first breeding season. Toms are interested in only one thing - mating. They will step on and otherwise be not so caring towards the babies. Once the young ones are at least 8 weeks old and big enough to get out of the way you can allow them back together.
I agree

Sorry to hear about your babies.

The baby chicks take up the mama's time and the tom does not like that. He wants all of her time to continue to breed and he can't do that if she is caring for her babies. He kills them, so he can have her all for himself.

I never leave any baby alone or with their father. This includes poults, ducks, gosling, etc. I know what the outcome will be. :/

Thank you for your replies I appreciate them

It looks like my husband has lost his potato patch now, it will have to be a permanent pen now.

It was distressing to lose the chicks, especially in such a cruel way. He has now mated with the other 3 hens so as soon as they start laying he will be off to market as we only want one male, we are pretty sure out of the 8 chicks we have at the moment at least one has to be a male
smile.png

I incubate all my turkey hens' eggs, but was thinking that as soon as the weather warms up a bit to let them hatch out a brood, but I thought that since they hatch out their brood in a private, covered, out of the way place, the poults would be protected? I have my Vegie garden fenced in and my flocks can roam the rest of the farm during the day, but I guess I will have to put my broodies in their own pen inside the barn when we aren't there to supervise!
roll.png

This is our problem too Celie, we are not there all the time and even when we are it is an ongoing battle protecting the chicks.

Our hens lay 12-14 eggs but so far few have survive, but it is winter and the rainy season. Now I know this problem with the Tom is a common one we can protect the chicks in the future.

This is our problem too Celie, we are not there all the time and even when we are it is an ongoing battle protecting the chicks.

Our hens lay 12-14 eggs but so far few have survive, but it is winter and the rainy season. Now I know this problem with the Tom is a common one we can protect the chicks in the future.
I hope you find a solution
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom