Toms Fighting - what to do?

PrairieFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Hi! I have White Hollands. I've had toms fight in the past but my batch this year is really bad. They really beat up two of them (pecked their eyes, tore off their snoods). In fact, wasn't sure either of them were going to make it but they seem to be recovering. Well today I tried putting one of the injured toms back with the flock and the healthy toms IMMEDIATELY ran over and started attacking him. What to do?
And FYI - my birds have LOADS of room. Most of the time I let them free range, so I know it's not a space issue.

They will need to be separated for quite a while.

They might not be able to be reintroduced. We had a Tom Narragansett that was top dog. He took a pretty good beating when three younger Toms ganged up on him. He never was able to go back with them, as they would instantly attack him.

Good luck.

I don't have much experience with turkeys yet, but this is what I do when my cochin roosters battle:

Fence off the weaker one ( in the same enclosure ) so the other can see him. After about 2 weeks, take down the fence.

The other roosters have gotten used to him and as long as he doesn't challenge one of them everything is peaceful again.

Hope this helps.

have The same problem with mine have two toms I'v tryed everything to stop them but thay still fight only way to end it is just let them fight untill there is a winner then thay get along for awhile till next time would not let more than two toms live together due to ganging up on one bird tho.

Back
Top Bottom